1Password accessibility service

Options
tobia
tobia
Community Member

I recently tried opening the Coinbase app on my Android phone and a scary message popped up saying:

An accessibility service is trying to interact with coinbase. Shake your device to authorize it. If you did not make this request, tap the button below to prevent it from taking unouthorized action on your behalf.

Being very scared of viruses installing themselves as accessibility services, I went over the Accessibility system preferences and turned off everything except 1Password (there wasn't much, just a screenshot app that needs accessibility access to scroll pages in order to screenshot them.) Then I reset the Coinbase app and tried to login again from zero. Same message.

I then disabled the 1Password accessibility service, tried the same steps, and this time the message was not there. Additionally, I was able to fill the password with 1Password, with the usual menu appearing below the login field, even though the accessibility service was turned off.

Questions:

1. What is the 1Password accessibility service?
  2. Why does it scare other apps?
  3. Why did 1Password work even with the service turned off?
  4. Should I leave it turned off?

1Password Version: 7.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OnePlus OxygenOS 10.3.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_audrey
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hey @tobia, it looks like my coworker has gotten back to you via email. If you have any further questions, we can continue the conversation there! :)

This discussion has been closed.