Deactivate the automatic lock

Options
stano_vittorio
stano_vittorio
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I am a new customer of 1Password who signed up for an individual subscription today. I have installed 1Password on all my devices (iPhone, iPad and MacBook, Chrome and safari browsers). On the iPhone there is no problem with usage. On chrome and Mac every time I reboot my pc or close chrome, it prompts me for the password every time and is very inconvenient. I have also disabled auto lock but it doesn't work. What can I do to not enter the password every time?
I look forward to your kind response.
Best regards,
Vittorio Maria Stano

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @stano_vittorio ,
    Welcome to 1Password! :)

As a security oriented software company, our main goal is to keep users data and privacy safe. Some of our security mechanisms are an integral part of our apps and cannot be changed. For example, 1Password will lock up whenever you restart/shut down your device (whether it is your phone or computer or tablet). That's important, because our apps can't tell what happened during that downtime.

1Password X in your browser is a standalone app that is bound to the browser, so when you close Chrome, for 1Password X it is like you restarted/shut down the computer because it has no way of tracking changes - it is terminated as soon as Chrome closes. The auto-lock settings only take effect while Chrome is running and 1Password X can keep track of things.

There are a few things you can do to better your experience:
    1. Keep Chrome running (e.g. only close it with the red X button on the top left corner of Chrome and do not Quit Chrome). That way the auto-lock settings will take place.
    2. Change your Master Password to something that is easy to remember and type, but still strong and secure enough, like a memorable password: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable
    3. Remove 1Password X from your browser and install our old companion extension instead, which connects to the desktop app of 1Password and will remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked. You can download it from here: https://1password.com/browsers/

Keep in mind that we do not recommend leaving 1Password unlocked constantly. It is best to let it lock up if you're not using it for a certain period of time :)

• ZachFett
    ZachFett
    Community Member
    Options

Made an account hoping to ask for a way to disable Auto Lock completely as well. I can understand making me put in my master password every time I reboot the PC, but having to unlock the Chrome extension every few hours unless I keep Chrome up forever is infuriating, that isn't viable when Chrome is a resource hog. I tried the old extension for all of a few seconds before uninstalling it, since it's much worse than the new extension and doesn't even offer auto-fill logins.

Please, my PC is very secure, no one is breaking into my house and then trying to log into my 1Password from here. Let me actually disable Auto Lock in the extension completely.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ZachFett:

The security is not only if someone breaks into your house, it could be malware on your computer that tries to do something bad. But the good news is that our developers are working on desktop app integration as we speak, which will help with this ;)

• ZachFett
    ZachFett
    Community Member
    Options

I understand, but I'm a security engineer and I know what I'm doing with my PC, I'm okay with taking that risk for convenience's sake.

I'd just like if there was an option, tuck it away in the settings if need be, but it should be there. If it only asked me to log in once a day that'd be something, but having to do so every single time I close Chrome is extremely inconvenient.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ZachFett:

Understood! As I mentioned in my previous post, the desktop app integration feature will help you with this ;)

This discussion has been closed.