My Phone and Laptop Aren't Syncing

JeffOnWire
JeffOnWire
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Mac

My Phone and Laptop have different passwords for the same login. Clearly they're not syncing. How can I get them to sync?
1Password for Android Version 7.7.2
1Password 7 version 7.7 on mac Catalina v. 10.15.7

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.7.2 & 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android & mac 10.15.7
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:syncing

Comments

• @JeffOnWire

Most often, when this is mentioned, the two devices are using different sync methods. Are both devices using the same sync method?

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

Hey, thanks. How would I tell?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@JeffOnWire

On the Laptop if you open 1Password in your sidebar do you see a Personal/Private vault or a Primary vault? On the phone open 1Password > Settings > Vaults. Do you see a Personal/Private vault or a Primary vault?

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

On the phone under settings > vaults I see
    Vault for saving
    Private
    Vaults included in All Vaults
    Then my account name
    Then a Private vault
    and then a couple of other vaults

On the laptop sidebar
    All Vaults
    My name and then a personal vault
    My name and then a private vault
    several other vaults
    then there's a section "ON MY MAC"
    with a primary vault and two other vaults

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JeffOnWire:

On the laptop sidebar
    All Vaults
    My name and then a personal vault
    My name and then a private vault

It sounds like you created two different 1Password accounts, one Individual and one Families. For confirmation, do you remember adding both accounts to the 1Password app, using two different Emergency Kits?

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

I do not recall doing that, but it took a lot of work to get it all working, so ???

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

Just tried reinstalling the app on my phone. Entered secret keys, master password, no difference. Pressing "sync" in the app doesn't seem to do anything

• @JeffOnWire

Private

This vault is specially named for memberships.

with a primary vault and two other vaults

The Primary vault is not part of your membership and it will not sync to other devices. We recommend removing the Primary vault to prevent confusion/sync troubles just like you experienced.

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up to date information in your Personal vault.

3. Remove the Primary vault.

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

Ah, thank you. Thank you very much! I've moved everything out of primary into family and deleted primary. The things that I was looking for in the phone are now showing up in the phone.

When I was doing the emergency kits I found I apparently have two accounts. On the desktop under Accounts I do see two accounts, one with my name, and one with my family name. Also when deleting the Primary I was prompted to enter an unfamiliar and very old password (I'm guessing for the other account).

I don't think I need two accounts, and it would probably unconfused me more if I only had one account. The account with just my name (and a lock that says "Personal") doesn't seem to have anything in it (says "0 items" when I highlight it and there are no vaults under it like there are under the family account. The account with "Family" (and a lock that says "Private") seems to have all my stuff and several vaults.

Any thoughts on how to get me down to just one account?

Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JeffOnWire:

So it turns out you indeed had two accounts :) Thank you for the confirmation! You can delete the account you don't want to use anymore:

How to delete your 1Password account

Alternatively, you can simply remove the Individual account from the 1Password app, under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab :+1:

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member

Good deal. I've deleted the old account, syncing with the phone, and all is good. Thank you ag_tommy & ag_ana for your patient support and insight.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @JeffOnWire, on behalf of Tommy too :+1: If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.