Are attachments to a Secure Note secure?

Welshdog
Welshdog
Community Member

I use secure notes to store a variety of things and sometimes attach scans of drivers licenses, ID cards, legal docs etc. Recently I was looking at some attachments and clicked on the "Show In Finder" selection. It worked, except it appears these sensitive items are just stored in the Mac system under /private/var/folders. I fail to see how this is secure. Shouldn't they be part of the vault and thus protected from prying eyes?

Am I not doing this right? Is there a safer way to store sensitive files inside 1Password? The idea is that I want to put the files in 1Password and then delete them from the OS accessible areas.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Everything stored in 1Password is encrypted, so it's as secure as the password you use to protect it. But in order for it to be readable when opened it must be decrypted. Hence, when you've done that, they're written to temporary files, so that they can be used, and then the OS cleans them up later. If you do not want the files to ever be decrypted, simply do not view them, and then they will remain encrypted in 1Password, as there's no need to decrypt them except for your benefit.

• Welshdog
    Welshdog
    Community Member

Thanks. When you say "cleans them up later" what does that mean and when does it happen?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@welshdog If you want to watch it as it happens do this:
    Find a document in 1password;
    Click on "View Document" once;
    Click on the reveal triangle and select Show in Finder;
    When the Finder window opens (it'll be buried deep in /private/var/... ;
    Note that the document you want to see is inside a folder nested inside a folder with a name that ends with ".noindex";
    Finally the cool part--with the Finder window still open and visible, make 1Password active and Lock it.
    Voila, you temp doc is gone. hth

• Welshdog
    Welshdog
    Community Member

Cool, thanks!

• @vplewis

Thanks for the assist.

@Welshdog

I am happy you found an answer. Let us know if you have additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.