When I create a new password – why does it instantly tell me that this is a reused password?

1password tells me I have reused passwords but this appears even when I generate a new password – how can I solve this?
Adrian Longstaffe

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When I create a new password – why does it instantly tell me that this is a reused password?

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @msjal77 !

If you generate a new password with the help of the password generator then a new password entry is created in "1Password" too. And then you have two entries with the same password - the login entry for which you created the new password and the password entry.

Try to search for a password entry that was created when creating this new password with the password generator and delete this entry. So the reused password message should be away.

I did the following to get this reused password message:
    1. There was a login entry I wanted to change the password. So I opened the website and logged into it.
    2. On the site for changing the password I opened the password generator in "1Password" and created a new password.
    3. I copied the password into the fields for the new passwords on the website.
    4. "1Password" asked if I want to automatically change the password in the login entry.
    5. After confirming changing the password the reused message appeared.

Could this be your problem too?

• msjal77
    msjal77
    Community Member

Hi DenalB – Absolutely.

You have exactly identified the problem and, as long as I can delete the password entry safely – that's all I need to know. It seems strange that 1password does this.

Many thanks for the solution

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Many thanks for the solution

You're very welcome @msjal77 ! :)

Every time you are using the password generator to copy the generated password with the copy-button a new password entry will be created. I think it works like a history because there is no own history for created passwords in the password generator.

I didn't try, but maybe you should switch into the login entry and generate a new password with the button behind the password field. I think no new own password entry will be created then. ;)

• msjal77
    msjal77
    Community Member

Many thanks for this – good idea.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Glad to know that I could help @msjal77 . :+1:

• Thanks for stepping in and helping clear things up @DenalB 😊

@msjal77 let us know if there's anything else we can help answer, we're here to help!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It was a pleasure for me @Blake . 👍

• JMonty
    JMonty
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. I found a post about this under the 1Password Mac topic
    and the team member said there is an option in that version of the app called "Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords". Are there any plans to add this feature to the Windows app? I don't enjoy having to manually cleanup the duplicate Login and Password entries every time I have 1Password generate a new password. The workaround described above is more of a hassle because that requires leaving the website to open the Login entry within 1Password, generate the new password there and then copy and paste it back into the website.

Is there a setting I can change to turn off this behavior of automatically creating Password entries? I don't want them stored. If I ever somehow miss updating the 1Password Login entry with the newly generated password, then I'd rather just repeat the process of updating the password for that site instead of having to manually cleanup Password records every single time... or trying to remember never to use the password generator outside of an existing Login entry.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Are there any plans to add this feature to the Windows app?

But please add this feature as an option. I want "1Password" to save generated passwords as a kind of history. And if I don't need these entries I'll manually delete them. ;)

• Blake
    edited January 2021

@JMonty

The "Remove Redundant Generated Passwords" alongside the "Clean Up Duplicate Items" are still considered experimental tools, and as such, they haven't be implemented on other platforms just yet. I know I would absolutely love to see both of these tools come to 1Password for Windows, so I'll certainly make sure your voice is heard. 😊

Is there a setting I can change to turn off this behavior of automatically creating Password entries? I don't want them stored.

This is a hardcoded feature within 1Password, and it's not possible to disable this. Can you give me and my team an email at support+windows@1password.com so we can go over how your current workflow looks when it comes to updating your login items, and see if we can help shed some light on things?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I know I would absolutely love to see both of these tools come to 1Password for Windows, so I'll certainly make sure your voice is heard.

Thanks @Blake. 🙏

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Blake, you are very welcome!

• JMonty
    JMonty
    Community Member

@Blake and @ag_ana , thank you so much for your response! I'll email your team with the exact steps I'm taking while using 1Password.

By the way, I was a user of the free version of LastPass for several years and I recently switched to 1Password when I decided to rollout use of a password manager to the rest of the family. I must say I've been impressed with the 1Password team's active participation in the support community/forums. It affirms my decision to switch to your product.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I must say I've been impressed with the 1Password team's active participation in the support community/forums. It affirms my decision to switch to your product.

Signed! Great job guys. :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @JMonty! We are happy to have you with us :)

This discussion has been closed.