How to begin populating my vault with passwords

Options
CyclstGrl
CyclstGrl
Community Member

I have my membership paid, the apps installed on my mac and phone, and I have no idea how to begin populating this with passwords. There seem to be no useful instructions anywhere, and for a non-tech person, I'm not so good at "just figuring it out." It's NOT intuitive. How do I begin actually using this thing I paid for?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to begin populating my vault with passwords

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@CyclstGrl

Happy New Year.

Do you have passwords stored in some other password manager / utility now? Or are these all written on some secret notebook and you want to manually input them into 1Password?

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

Just purchased 1Password7 and have installed apps on my phone iPhone 7 Plus and Mac. My Mac is OSBig Sur 11.1; I believe I've correctly downloaded the extension for Safari but keep getting a message that I it's not in my browser. (I've downloaded it at least three times); I have no idea how to begin populating this with passwords. There seem to be no useful instructions anywhere (I've been through the tutorials on the website). For a non-tech person, I'm not so good at "just figuring it out." It's NOT intuitive or easy to set this up. How do I get help so I can actually begin getting the protection I've paid for?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2021
    Options

@CyclstGrl ,

Let's focus on your Mac first.

1. Where are you passwords stored now? Memory? Paper? Some other password manager?

2. Have a look at the guides available:

Get Started

and more specifically:

Get to know 1Password for Mac

Use 1Password in Safari on your Mac - See the Get Help section

Let's see if this help us move forward.

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

I have read the "Get to know 1 Password for Mac" multiple times. I've read "Use 1Password in Safari on your Mac" multiple times. I've clicked on the + button and am not sure what to do with that list. I've visited websites to try to change passwords to get them into this system, and now Verizon has locked me out. The things that show up on the tutorial pages do not show up on my pages. I've managed to add a few "items???" to my account, but when I click on them, they do not take me to the pages, like Amazon, Facebook, or Apple ID. I click on them and nothing happens. I simply do not understand this system and hope that someone can walk me through it. It just isn't working on my phone or Mac as represented--in fact, it's not working at all.

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

As far as where my passwords are stored: on multiple pieces of paper crammed into a drawer. It's a mess. I was under the impression that I could go to a website that I access, click on the 1Password Icon, and it would bring up a form for me to populate, then it would add a password. I've tried that. Some of these show up on my "items" list, but when I click on them, they are dead links. I don't plan to use my old passwords. The appeal of this was a system where I didn't have to remember them, and it would create really tough passwords. Going to take a break for a bit. This really shouldn't be too complicated for a system that claims so much ease.

• @CyclstGrl

It sounds like you may not have a URL saved in your 1Password entry. Do your login items contain the login link? 1Password is a very powerful tool. You might try working with one site and get comfortable with the process before branching out to all of your sites. Once you have the saving and changing password scenarios worked out, you'll be good to move on to others.

Please let us know when you are ready to continue. We're here to help.

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand your questions. Us non-techies need lots of hand-holding. How do I save a URL (what URL?) in my 1LPassword entry? How do I know if my login items contain a login link? It's a bit frustrating that these steps aren't set out anywhere (and if they are, I haven't seen them.) Thanks. I'm in touch with tech support so hopefully some of this will start making sense.

• Us non-techies need lots of hand-holding.

Don't worry in no time you'll be up and going. :chuffed:

The URL/website is the site address. In my example you see the user name and password in addition to the URL/website.

• @CyclstGrl

It looks as if you have sent us an email, and my colleague Kristen is working with you already. To prevent duplication of efforts and confusion, please continue the discussion via email.

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand your questions. Us non-techies need lots of hand-holding. How do I save a URL (what URL?) in my 1LPassword entry? How do I know if my login items contain a login link? It's a bit frustrating that these steps aren't set out anywhere (and if they are, I haven't seen them.) Thanks. I'm in touch with tech support so hopefully some of this will start making sense.

• CyclstGrl
    CyclstGrl
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thanks.

• :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.