How does Suggestions Work?

2»

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @paxmundi .

Please keep in mind that most of our users are not as tech savvy as you guys, so when they visit one of the following websites, they need their login to show up even though they are not exactly the same website:

• apple.com
    • support.apple.com
    • appleid.apple.com
    • iforgot.apple.com
    • itunes.apple.com
    • store.apple.com
    • etc

That is why suggestions work like they do. The first suggestions you see should be an exact match to the domain you are visiting, after which it will suggest similar matches that might have a different sub-domain or prefix/suffix. If you mark login items as favorites, they will show up first on the list regardless of exact matches.

I hope you'll find this info useful for now until we get a change to improve things according to the feedback here.
    Thanks again.

• IrQX
    IrQX
    Community Member

Dear 1Password developers,

I've just bought an annual subscription and migrated to 1Password, and faced with this issue too (it looks more as an issue than as a feature).

As I understood from messages above and from my case this is a common problem for many users. When we are talking about SSO or any federated login 1Password has problems to filter/sort logins.
    I am a developer too and have many logins (incl. for testing purposes) on different sites (subdomains)

• www.my.site.com
    • test.my.site.com
    • qa.my.site.com
    • api.my.site.com
    • etc

And I absolutely confident that I don't wanna to see all the accounts (>50) in a list. I would like to have the ability to split it according to the URL, like it supposed to be.

Instead of arguing about how it must work, I would like to ask you a "feature request".
    Very likely logic described below almost implemented, but Visual splitter will increase UX.

I believe, it shouldn't be hard to implement, and it would be very appreciated by all users.

So, it would be nice if a suggestion list ordering will look like:

• Items which URL fully match (including path), aaa.bbb.ccc.com/path_to/something/
    • Items which URL fully match, but without path component aaa.bbb.ccc.com
    • horizontal line (splitter) as visual separator (if no items above - no splitter here)
    • Items which URL partially match, ranging by subdomain level match ("zzz.bbb.ccc.com" should be upper than "qwe.rrr.ccc.com")

Thank you

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021

Thank you kindly for the feedback and feature request!

We already have such a feature request and this entire discussion is pinned to it so all of your additional information will come in handy to the developers once they get a chance to investigate the matter.

@bigfriggin The JSON and UUID in the advanced preferences are for unique troubleshooting that we must have in order to be able to help some customers. It is not for users but more for us as a last resort of troubleshooting with/for the users :)

Adding an "Enable strict domain matching" checkbox sounds great on the surface, but as we've come to learn from years of experience, a lot of users will turn it on without even understanding what it means, which will cause a lot more problems for them and provide a bad experience. This needs to be thoroughly thought out before being implemented.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#31

• cmlitton
    cmlitton
    Community Member

Can the suggestions feature be disabled globally instead of per site?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@cmlitton Yes, you can change the suggestions settings in the 1Password app's preferences -> Mini tab. You can set it to "All items" instead of "Suggestions" and it will then show you all of your items ordered alphabetically instead of suggesting specific websites.

If you mean that you don't want 1Password to show up on websites then you can disable it via preferences -> Browsers tab.

• mcampos
    mcampos
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Came here to see if there was a solution for this same issue. I work for an extremely large multinational corporation. We have lots of internal websites that have different logins; so matching suggestions based on *.bar.com is basically the equivalent to matching every login I have for the entire company -- dozens.

What I want is for suggestions to be a lot smarter, for example:
    1. https://jira.foo.bar.com/ # Use my "Jira" login
    2. https://gitlab.foo.bar.com/ # Use my "Gitlab" login

Also related: It would be helpful to enforce suggestion matching not only on the hostname, but also on the path. For example we have cases like this:

1. https://whatever.foo.bar.com/grafana # That's a login
    2. https://whatever.foo.bar.com/helpdesk_tracker # That's a different login
    3. https://whatever.foo.bar.com/monitoring_system # Yet another login!

All are on the same web server, but 3 different logins.

Seems like a few ways to implement this:
    1. Give users a field where they can specify the URL/path that should match for suggestions (wildcard match, or a regex)
    2. (less helpful, but still better than we have now) a checkbox that says "Match the URL exactly"
    3. Have 1Password remember which suggestions I usually pick when presented with a given URL. i.e. it displays all zillion choices, but remembers "for jira.foo.bar.com, he usually picks 'Jira'" -- so list that one first.
    4. As @IrQX mentioned earlier, order suggestions based on which one most closely matches.

Thanks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional feedback and suggestions here @mcampos .
    We'll forward it to the team.

In the meantime, I feel like you could really benefit from utilizing tags. If you add a tag named "Jira" to your Jira login item, when you call 1Password you can quickly look for "jira" and it will show the relevant login item(s) on the spot. That is extremely helpful when you have a lot of logins with the same base domain.

Also, suggestion #4 already exists - 1Password will suggest logins based on how well the URL matches. Exact matches should show up first unless you have others that are marked as favorites. However, exact matches only take sub-domains into account and not the path after the .com part.

• mcampos
    mcampos
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Tags aren't really helpful -- if I have to narrow by a tag, I might as well search for the specific login I'm looking for.

The fact that #4 already works is great news -- I will just add additional "websites" to the 1P entry to help the suggestions. Thanks; that will make a big difference.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @mcampos !
    Thanks again for the feedback and input. :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bigfriggin .
    Thanks for the additional input here.

I'm also a big fan of CMD+\ , which was the hook that got me into 1Password! It does work really well for the vast majority of users as they don't have more than one or two logins per website. However, things get a bit more complicated when a more advanced user have a lot of logins for the same website (or the same domain), and another system such as tags must be utilized to organize things better.

A book shelf is wonderful if you have several books and makes them easier to handle and find, but if you have a lot of books you'll need a library and a system to locate what you need quickly. That system is the favorites and tags in 1Password :)

As I mentioned in the past, this has been filed as a feature request and is a very popular one at that, so I'm certain we will see changes and new features on that front at some point, once our current roadmap is completed.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback! Much appreciated.

• jaotto1172
    jaotto1172
    Community Member

Please just get this done... my local network has hundreds of devices with their own independent logins, all in the same tld, of course, because that is the way everything on the internet works except for a handful of giant trillion dollar corporations. It is beyond ridiculous that, although each of my 1Password entries has a unique FQDN, the item with the exact match shows up half way down the list of suggestions, behind many entries that are only tenuously related. Using favorites helps... a little... by restricting favorites to only the entries that I log into multiple times per day, I can get the correct entry in the top 20. Nobody is asking for rocket science... Exact match = Best match goes to the top of the list would fix virtually every problem, leaving the rest of the sorting algorithm alone.

Please. It's been years since this broke. It was so frustrating today that I started looking for alternatives to 1Password (NONE fo which seem to have this bizarre issue), when I stumbled on this thread.

I'm glad to hear that this is a popular feature request. Now, please, don't post any more apologies for why it has to stay broken. Fix it. Now. You know what to do. just do it. Please.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Thank you for the feedback, @jaotto1172. It's been passed along to my team.

• jaxley
    jaxley
    Community Member

Concerns over user experience and confusion are completely understandable. However, it sounds as if these concerns have lead to a risk avoidance mindset out of fear -- resulting in stagnation and avoiding trivial changes that could really start improving the UX - like the simple change mentioned before about separating best matches from other suggestions.

There's a solution to the concern about customer confusion - A/B testing (safe-to-fail experiements). No need to speculate on what could happen when you can test it out and see... Since there are so many different possible ways to address this, it could help the best solution bubble to the top.

One logic change that I haven't seen mentioned that could significantly improve this would be:

• Once a suggestion is selected for autofill, you can add a more specific URL to the entry to cause it to be prioritized higher in the future. That way, the UX will improve based on user feedback dynamically.

There's already precedence for this UX: On mobile devices, there isn't fuzzy matching for applications. You have to explicitly approve autofill to a particular application. Once you do that, 1Password saves that on the record

It's surprising to see admission that the path component is not used to determine suggestion priority. That seems like a no-brainer too.

• jaxley
    jaxley
    Community Member

Actually, one change would make this feature significantly better right away:

When I visit a site like https://foo.example.org, Suggestions does NOT put the 1Password login entry that actually has that exact URL first in the list. It is second in the list. A completely different entry is first in the list that has a completely unrelated https://bar.example.org URL in it.

There is no way that this provides a better or less confusing user experience. Perhaps it's a bug?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bigfriggin:

It looks like our spam filter was a bit too eager with your post. I have manually approved so it shows up again now ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2021

@jaxley:

When I visit a site like https://foo.example.org, Suggestions does NOT put the 1Password login entry that actually has that exact URL first in the list. It is second in the list. A completely different entry is first in the list that has a completely unrelated https://bar.example.org URL in it.

Indeed, this is a good suggestion, and our developers are aware of the request. I have let them know that you would also find this useful, you are officially in the list now :)

• Peter Agocs
    Peter Agocs
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

I am a long time 1pwd user... :) but this bug is frustrating! I have examples where the suggestion is useless because the stronger matching URL is just the x. item on the list ( where x not eq 1)... So It would be nice if this bug finally couldl be fixed.

For example: If an item is marked to favorite that is ranked higher against a stronger matching URL.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Peter Agocs ,

This behavior is intentional. 1Password's suggestions order is:

1. Favorites with the same base domain.
    2. Exact matches of the base domain + subdomain.
    3. Matches with the same base domain but different subdomains or other prefix/suffix.

Favorites are meant to be prioritized higher than exact matches on purpose :)

This discussion has been closed.