...1Password x for FireFox: How Do I Control How Long I Remain Logged In?

Options
ethan417
ethan417
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi

I'm so loving 1Password.

I noticed that when I log into 1PW in the morning, it times out in a few minutes.

In the evening, I find that 1PW keeps me logged in for much longer.

Why?

Is there a way for lengthen my morning login?

Many thanks

Stay Safe!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ethan417 ,

1Password X in your browser has an auto-lock timer (10 minutes by default). That auto-lock timer kicks in when your computer is idle, meaning when you're not touching it. So in the morning, if you unlock 1Password, start working and then go for a coffee/bathroom break, your computer becomes idle and the timer kicks in, then 1Password X locks up after 10 minutes.

In the evening, if you're constantly on your computer non-stop then it has no chance of going idle, so 1Password X remains unlocked and the auto-lock timer doesn't kick in.

You can adjust the auto-lock settings thought:
    1. Right click the 1Password X extension icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings".
    2. Adjust the auto-lock settings under the "Security" section.

Keep in mind that 1Password X will lock up regardless of these settings when you quit Firefox or when you restart/shut down your computer. 1Password X will lock up immediately in these scenarios.

• asefoiashefou
    asefoiashefou
    Community Member
    Options

Ha. I just posted about this issue - your last paragraph:

Keep in mind that 1Password X will lock up regardless of these settings when you quit Firefox or when you restart/shut down your computer. 1Password X will lock up immediately in these scenarios.

This specific thing is making it hard for my wife to want to adopt 1 password, because she doesn't want to type her masterpassword in every time she closes and opens a browser window.

• @asefoiashefou

If the device your wife uses is a Mac and it supports Touch ID, you can remove 1Password X and install the companion app extension which supports Touch ID unlocking. Late last year the ability to use Touch ID with 1Password X was removed to be updated with newer code. She could optionally switch to our companion app extension until the feature is brought back to 1Password X.

1. Disable 1Password X in the Chrome/Firefox extension settings. No need to remove it.
    2. Download and install the companion app extension.

--

Due to the extensions' differences, you may first need to completely quit your browser and 1Password for communication to work properly.

1. Quit your browser.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member
    Options

@asefoiashefou I had the same problem/experience when I moved up to 1P7 and it was hindering family adoption.

@ag_tommy is right; don't use 1PasswordX because it does auto-lock upon browser close and, since it is NOT linked to the 1Password, it doesn't stay unlocked even if the app is. I have been told that a 1PasswordX version is coming whereby unlocking the desktop app will unlock 1PasswordX (if you search my UID you'll find those threads).

I did what @ag_tommy suggested: installing the companion app extension gives you the user experience you're looking for.

Hope that helps too.

• asefoiashefou
    asefoiashefou
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion!

To be really open and transparent, 1passwordX is the experience I am looking for (Also, I'm on Windows).

Compiled applications are kinda old-school in a modern compute world, so I'm anxious for 1Password to implement these things. :)

Thanks again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're really anxious to get the integration feature out as well @asefoiashefou !
    Hopefully it will be released in the near future and we can all enjoy 1Password X that unlocks with Touch ID / Windows Hello and remains unlocked when we close the browser :)

• cochran8
    cochran8
    Community Member
    Options

Re auto-lock...
    Whenever I change (and save) the default 10-minute auto-lock to 300 min (the max) it stays on for a while, but soon disappears. I get it that it quits whenever the browser (Firefox or chrome) does. But why doesn't it retain the setting? OK, 1pass can kick me out, but why do I have to go back and reset the 10-minutes to 300 minutes (or whatever is a reasonable choice for me)? I'm the only person who uses my PC, (it's not even a family problem...), so why not let it stay unlocked for whatever amount of time, and re-use my “saved" setting of 300 minutes? Annoying!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cochran8:

Do you have your Firefox browser set to delete cache/cookies/history upon quitting perhaps? It sounds like the way you have it configured is to delete your settings when you quit it.

This discussion has been closed.