How To Move 1Password Vault from Dropbox to iCloud?

rlf
rlf
Community Member

I recently installed the current version of 1Password on a MBP running macOS 11.1. When I first started the installation, 1P asked if I used 1P before. Now I've always kept my 1P vault on Dropbox but I'd like to start keeping it on my iCloud drive so I can get rid of DB. I tried to copy the folder on DB can contains my 1P vault to the top-level folder on my iCloud drive. But when I clicked 'Sync using iCloud', I get a message saying "No vaults found on iCloud." It seems that 1P could find it in any of the standard locations which seemed strange as I would think it would look in the root of my iCloud drive first. I suspect the problem is that all I've been using for the last few years is a file called '1Password.agilekeychain' which I've stored on DB. I tried copying this file to iCloud > Documents but that didn't work either. 1P says it's looking for a .opvault file which I've never had. How do I configure 1P such that it can find this file in the default standard location on my iCloud drive? I'd like for my 1Password installation to go smoothly the next time I get a new computer. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @rlf

Syncing over iCloud uses Cloud-kit, a system Apple developed to allow for data safety and stability to be paramount. It's only available to applications, and it's not directly accessible to the end-user, such as yourself. That's why it doesn't show up inside iCloud drive.

If you open 1Password > Preferences > Sync change the sync type to iCloud. 1Password will upload the data to iCloud.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

When I open Preference, there isn't a sync option. All I see at the top is General, Mini, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, Vaults, Browsers, Notifications, Updates and Advanced. I'm using 1P 7.6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rlf:

Did you download the 1Password app from our website or from the Mac App Store?

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

Yes I did. I've been using the Mac version of the app for years. You can see what I see when I open the app's preferences here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rlf:

My apologies, I should have clarified better: which version of the 1Password app did you download? The one from our website or the one from the Mac App Store?

The Mac App Store version only supports 1Password.com vaults and cannot sync with iCloud or Dropbox, so make sure you downloaded the app from our website if you want to use third-party sync methods.

If you are already using the 1Password app from our website, the Sync menu will be hidden if you are already syncing your data to 1Password.com, to avoid duplication of sync methods.

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password for quite a few years so I don't know where I originally got it from. However, when I open the App Store app on my Mac and click on my name in the navigation pane on the left, I see 1Password listed among the apps that I can download so I may have purchased the 7.0 version there (I do recall upgrading to your newer version sometime in the last two years). While you know best, I suspect the thing for me to do in the future is to just download the 1P app via the App Store app and then see if it allows me to sign into my 1Password.com vault. If it does, I think 1P will then sync my local app database with my vault that resides in your cloud and it should get populated. Does that sound right? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rlf:

I suspect the thing for me to do in the future is to just download the 1P app via the App Store app and then see if it allows me to sign into my 1Password.com vault. If it does, I think 1P will then sync my local app database with my vault that resides in your cloud and it should get populated.

Both versions allow you to sync with 1Password.com, so you can use the one you prefer :+1:

If you don't remember where you installed the app from, there is an easy way to find out: open your Applications folder and check the name of the 1Password app. If it's called 1Password 7 (with the version number), it's from our website; if it says only 1Password, without version name, it's from the App Store ;)

This discussion has been closed.