Beachballs in 1Password 7.7 on Catalina

SamX
SamX
Community Member

Hello,
I have not yet upgraded to Big Sur, and I am using 7.7 on Catalina 10.15.7.
There are random beachballs when I am editing password entries.

I am not doing anything crazy... my entries are relatively simple. No attachments. I am updating passwords, moving them to different Vaults, updating tags. Sometimes it is a mix of these operations, sometimes it is just one change... most recently, removing a tag and adding another one. No local vaults. No integration into Spotlight or similar.

Unpredictably, after I click "save," 1Password will hang and show me a beachball. This is frustrating, and as I've seen from a few recent posts, not uncommon. This seems to have been an issue on version 7.6, but I'm on 7.7. Is this a remote synchronization issue, or is it something local? How does one troubleshoot this?

1Password 7
Version 7.7 (70700016)
Mac App Store

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SamX!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member

I'm also using 1Password 7.7 on Catalina and it freezes all the time. I even had to force quit it once.
    1Password 7.6 also had the same problem.
    The last version that worked perfectly on my Mac is 7.5.
    I'm using a Mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Big Sur cannot be installed on this computer.

• @pmcarrion

Can you try quitting 1Password completely vs. the force quit?

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
  • pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

@ag_tommy

The 1Password menubar is nowhere to be found.

I even get this error from Bartender:
    1Password 7
    Bartender has not been able to control this Item.
    Please try restarting 1 Password 7.
    If this does not fix the issue please check our support page.

I tried opening the 1Password application but it just freezes for several minutes.

Edit: additional information below

1Password hasn't worked properly since version 7.6. Version 7.7 has the same problem.

Here's a link to the 7.6 issue I reported: https://1password.community/discussion/114751/1password-7-6-is-unresponsive-on-macos-10-15-5

The last version that worked properly on my Mac is 1Password 7.5. Can you please provide a link to download this version?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

Hmm, that's odd. I can't say I have ever experienced this with Bartender, well not with 1Password. But I have the helper set to be shown in the menu bar. Do you have the 1Password helper set to be shown in the menubar?

1Password > Preferences > General - Show 1Password in the menu bar.

It sure sounds like something is amiss. Have you sent us a diagnostic report?

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:
    About 1Password diagnostics reports https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/
    Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. pmcarrion
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/579837/#Comment_579837

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I just sent you the Diagnostic Report and some macOS reports related to 1Password.

BitBot generated this Ticket ID: EPV-79373-499.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pmcarrion:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: EPV-79373-499

• jamiljonna
    jamiljonna
    Community Member

I'm also having the same issue—for at least the last two versions. I have tried the remedies above to no avail. I have three 1p accounts so I figured it might have something to do with the lagging—just now I had to force quit with 7.7 on Bug Sur. It would be nice to know whether you determine this is more of a generic or specific issue. I have got ahead and emailed my diagnostic report to the email provided above. Many thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jamiljonna:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• ravron
    ravron
    Community Member

Also running into this. In fact, when I went to update my 1Password for this forum to use the new domain, 1password.community, it hung and had to be force quit. I've submitted a diagnostic report as well as a spindump, under ticket ID YPD-57989-937.

• TranceMist
    TranceMist
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Any time that I save a change, 1Password 7.7 hangs for a few seconds. Usually it comes, back, but maybe 20% of the time it hangs completely requiring a force quit (MacOS 10.15.7). I've submitted a diagnostics report.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both! We will take a look and continue the conversation via email :+1:

• SamX
    SamX
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Oddly, having since posted the original message here, I've not experienced the beachballs... and as a result, I have not sent in a diagnostic report. I believe the reason for this is because the majority of my 1Password usage is for logging into web sites using the helper app. When I experienced the beachball problem, I was updating multiple entries using the main 1Password app in a short period of time. I later tried to reproduce the situation by editing multiple password entries in a similar manner, but was not successful. I suppose that's a good thing, but it makes me wonder if it will happen again.

It was frustrating to think that my ability to simply view the data I had in the app was hampered by what appeared to be a lag in processing an updated entry. Since I was able to restore functionality by force-quitting and restarting the app, it feels like there is some sort of cloud sync issue. If there is, perhaps the sync should happen asynchronously, so that the app can still be used. If there is a sync failure, the user could be notified... etc etc. I'm sure this is not a new problem and there are known ways of minimizing the impact to users.

• SamX
    SamX
    Community Member

Oops... as luck would have it, I just got the app to beachball. I uploaded the diagnostics file. The app is currently still beachballed. The support ID is [#JGT-36634-257].

• @SamX

I was able to locate your submission. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: JGT-36634-257

• qschnehage
    qschnehage
    Community Member

I'm also experiencing the OP's issue - same description.

• SamX
    SamX
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Hello,
    I installed the beta build (7.7.1-BETA4) a few days ago.

I didn't notice any issues until today, when I observed some sluggishness while going through password entries.

More specifically, I was in the main app (not the helper app), looking through password entries in multiple vaults, editing some of them.

Sometimes there would be a noticeable pause between any of the above activities... when I clicked on a new password entry, or clicked "EDIT" on an entry, or saved an update to an entry, etc.

1Password did not beachball during any of this. EDIT: after posting this message, I went back to 1Password (main app) and found that the app started to show beachballs. Each last for only a few seconds. However, this happened when I was trying to edit "All Vaults"... there was noticeable and frequent pausing when I tried to select / de-select vaults. Also, when I pulled up Activity Monitor, I noticed that 1Password 7 has a size of ~3 GB, which seems surprisingly large.

I emailed the log files in the existing mail thread with support: [#JGT-36634-257].

I hope this helps!

Cheers

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I am having exactly the same problem (also described here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/582363/#Comment_582363). Beachballs, Super-Laggy, everything takes forever.

Support ID is [#NKS-58685-187]

• Hi folks,

Just closing the loop here. It appears everyone who has sent reports has received a reply by email. If you are experiencing slowness issues please install the beta, see if the problem exists there, and if it does send us a diagnostic report along with a description of when the slowness occurs (e.g. any specific actions that seem to trigger it).

Thanks!

Ben

• pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member

Hi guys,

The beachball issue returned with the latest version of 1Password (1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004)
    1Password Beta. This version used to work fine for a week or so before hanging again.

I just submitted a new Diagnostics Report. The new ticket ID is [#YPB-98976-716]

Thanks,

Percy

• @pmcarrion

Thank you for posting the Support ID. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.