Apple Silicon Support

Options
2ยป

Comments

• No worries !MarcoZ Glad to have you with us. Please feel free to start a topic of your own if needed.

• dcow
    dcow
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a workaround for the installer requiring rosetta yet or should I just wait for the next beta release?

• @dcow

The release notes for version 7.7.1 beta 4 seem promising. You may want to give it a try. It should be making its way out soon.

• dcow
    dcow
    Community Member
    Options

Works perfectly! I must have been minutes too soon.

• @dcow

Literally! I was in the middle of typing a reply when I had to change my message mid-way through.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

I have been testing the Beta on my M1 MacBookPro for about a week now and ran into zero issues. It just runs incredibly smoothly. Amazing work and I'm looking forward to the stable build for the Apple Silicon Macs.

It's the first time I've been using a 1Password Beta :). If I see any issues I'll post it here.

• @peacekeeper

That's great to hear! Our beta testers can be super helpful in locating issues. If you see any, we're close-at-hand.

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I just got prompted to upgrade to BETA5 and it got installed as an Intel only binary. I manually downloaded the BETA5 pkg and ran it and it also installs an Intel only binary. I've downgraded to BETA4 for the Universal binary.

I discovered this because I got prompted to install Rosetta when I launched the latest BETA.

• Ben
    Options

99 little bugs in the code.
    99 little bugs in the code.
    Take one down, patch it around,
    127 little bug in the code...

๐Ÿ˜…

Thanks @raster. We're working on it. Though I suspect beta 5 will outperform beta 4 even with the marginal Intel-to-native translation of Rosetta 2 due to the performance related bug fixes in beta 5.

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, it seems Apple Silicon Support has been removed again. Was this intentional @ag_tommy?

• Ben
    Options

It was not intentional. :) Please see my post post here.

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply @Ben :) You posted it just seconds before me!
    I will wait for Beta 6 and keep using Beta 4 for the time being. I cannot really imagine it being outperformed by Beta 5 to be honest, since what should be better than instant reactions? :D

• Ben
    Options

Sounds good. :) Evidently you didn't run into the inflated memory usage bug that still existed in beta 4. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Hopefully that either continues to be the case or we can ship beta 6 quickly.

Ben

• rudy
    Options

@peacekeeper,

There were some build script changes to support 7.7.1's release version not including AppleSilicon support. You will definitely want to skip over the release version and go straight to 7.7.2b0 when it lands.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Evidently you didn't run into the inflated memory usage bug that still existed in beta 4.

It sounds like it was a really good decision to go for the 16GB version of the MBP @Ben :D

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

You will definitely want to skip over the release version and go straight to 7.7.2b0 when it lands.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will keep that in mind @rudy :)

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    Options

Well the beta has regressed - how do I get the previous version of beta back

It is now Intel only

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Well the beta has regressed - how do I get the previous version of beta back

@bestlem The team just released Beta 6 with Apple Silicon Support, you can download it here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

Or use the auto-updater, if you have Rosetta installed.

• Ben
    Options

@bestlem

It is now Intel only

Sorry about that. You are correct; beta 5 is Intel-only, which will run perfectly fine on M1 Macs, but does require Rosetta 2. We'll have a new build out shortly that'll have a universal binary.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Well. That was fast. We were able to get it out before I was able to finish typing my message. :) Indeed, thanks @peacekeeper. Beta 6 is now available and is universal.

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Well. That was fast. We were able to get it out before I was able to finish typing my message.

That makes us even for today @Ben :)

Have a great day and thanks for the great support as always 8-)

• Ben
    Options

Indeed! haha ๐Ÿ˜€ Likewise.

Ben

• rudy
    Options

@BrokenHope,

We have a dependence on a Rust toolchain in addition to the Apple provided one for swift. We'd like for that Rust support to be considered a Tier 1 architecture in the rustlang project before we make that jump.

• robchandhok
    robchandhok
    Community Member
    Options

So, what happened? Just want to know if I need to be concerned about that version being installed.

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-6 (70701006)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

So, what happened? Just want to know if I need to be concerned about that version being installed.

It was unintentionally missing Apple Silicon support, nothing to worry about @robchandhok (unless you wanted it to run without Rosetta 2 on an Apple Silicon Mac ;))

• redwoodtree
    redwoodtree
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed, it's a little worrisome that there's nothing in the release notices indicating what went wrong with Beta-5.

• LarsCoding
    LarsCoding
    Community Member
    Options

Today I got prompted to upgrade to BETA5 and it got installed as an Intel only binary. Since I resist to install Rosetta, I ran into a problem. I wanted to downgrade and install "1Password-7.7.1.BETA-4" again (that has been working fine on M1) but it now says: "Installation failed" contact 1Password support.
    So I removed everything, restarted and tried to install again. Now I'm back to beta4 and it's working again (so far). Please try to avoid such situations. It has been working without Rosetta and I think every later beta version should do that, too. Thx.

UPDATE: Thanks for being fast - beta-6 is out with Apple Silicon support and fixes the mess.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2021
    Options

Agreed, it's a little worrisome that there's nothing in the release notices indicating what went wrong with Beta-5.

@redwoodtree Rudy explained here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/585842/#Comment_585842 with a follow-up here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/585859/#Comment_585859

In short some changes were made to the process of how we build 1Password for Mac to account for the fact that we aren't shipping an Apple Silicon binary for 7.7.1. That support will remain in beta for the 7.7.2 cycle. The problem for beta 5 was that the build process didn't include building a universal binary. That was corrected for beta 6.

Beta 5 will run just fine on M1 Macs (with Rosetta 2), but now that Beta 6 is available, you might as well install the latest version, which is a universal binary.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.