facebook QR code not supported

Options
DrIanSharp
DrIanSharp
Community Member

Anyone else having issue with facebook's QR code (for website MFA login) - when trying to add the image to the iOS app (and mac app, and web browser extension?)

I fell I had this issue before and was able to manually type in the code that the QR code is supposed to map to but forget how to do this if it's possible...

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @DrIanSharp

If you can manually input the code that can indeed help.

Open 1Password on your Mac, and locate your Facebook entry. Enter edit mode. In one of the SECTION areas click the "T" to change it to one-time password. The display will change. Paste the code provided by the website over the area on the left that says enter one-time password code. Be sure to save when complete.

This may help. :chuffed:

• DrIanSharp
    DrIanSharp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy. When you say "the code provided by the website" - do you mean the 6 digit numerical code that changes every 30 seconds or something else?

I don't know how to change the QR image (which I am exporting from Google Authenticator) into the full string of characters anymore.

All the 'take a picture of the QR code' doesnt recognize my QR image or just says that the QR code is not supported.

• The six-digit temporary one-time passcode would not be entered here. During the initial site setup of your two-factor authentication, some sites will provide you with a long texted based string of numbers and or letters to paste into this field. It's useful if you cannot scan the code. Based on your question about exporting, you are way past that and have valid authenticators already setup. I am not familiar with how to get a QR code out of the authenticator app.

• DrIanSharp
    DrIanSharp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Tommy.
    So for me, I was able to just log back into facebook and then 'disable' and 're-enable' my MFA for facebook in order to get access to the really long code you mentioned.

Also if the dev team is interested, I think the QR code recognition only works when the background is white? For example I scanned my QR code by taking a screenshot of my web-browser from facebook.com and the background was white - and it worked. However when I was exporting the QR codes from the Google Authenticator app I was taking a screenshot of the QR code from my iPhone and sending it to my computer - and the background was black.

I will try resetting my other MFA QR codes this way to consolidate them all into 1password, so I can delete Google Authenticator.

many thanks
    Ian

• @DrIanSharp

That's interesting. Please follow up if this is the case. As far as I am aware, almost all QR codes use white backgrounds (sites I have used). I am not sure it's something we can improve on, but you never know.

This discussion has been closed.