Using Windows Hello: Can the "Making sure it's you" pop-up "OK" button click requirement be omitted?

BlueY20
BlueY20
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When using Windows Hello authentication for 1Password, for accessing a password from within Chrome, for instance, a "Making sure it's you" window pops-up. That's OK, but the requirement to click the "OK" button is annoying and unnecessary. Can the extra click requirement be eliminated? Just close the pop-up after a few seconds and get on with it.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 latest
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BlueY20,

Thanks so much for writing in - welcome to the 1Password Community! :smile:

This comes down to how Windows Hello is designed - requiring the confirmation click in order to proceed. Since this portion of the experience is controlled by Microsoft via Windows Hello, we won't be able to make any changes here. Sorry about that!

Let me know if I can help with anything else. :smile:

• BlueY20
    BlueY20
    Community Member

That's peculiar.
    Windows 10 does not require any such confirmation when using Windows Hello to authenticate a user for access to the OS, such as on my Surface Pro computers. It just flashes "Looking at you" then "Hello" and you're in.

Are you sure it's a requirement in the Windows Hello API?
    The 1Password Unlock window looks like it's yours, not Windows'. If so, why doesn't your software just "Click the OK button" itself behind the scenes (metaphorically) and not bother the user? I bet the confirmation function in the API is optional. No other apps I use that also use Windows Hello have the explicit confirmation requirement.

• Blake
    edited January 2021

@BlueY20

Windows 10 itself interacts with Windows Hello in a fundamentally different way than the way Windows Hello interacts with non-native apps, such as 1Password. Comparing how Hello presents itself in natively in Windows (or in UWP apps) versus how it appears in 1Password (not a UWP app) -- is akin to comparing apples to oranges, as they both are held to different set of rules.

If you'd like to see this changed, I would definitely suggest using the Feedback Hub app in Windows 10 to make a feature request to Microsoft.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help!

This discussion has been closed.