Primary vault not showing up on new MacBook Pro. No syncing option.

Options
PauHana658
PauHana658
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

Got the new MacBook Pro last month and migrate all the data and apps from the old MacBook Pro. Everything works fine—except 1Password is not showing the Primary vault, only the shared and private vaults. As a result, I don't have access to many of my passwords. The Primary vault does show up on my iPad Pro, so I've been using that to get access to the Primary vault passwords. Short of moving all of my passwords out of the Primary vault on the iPac Pro (which could take days), is there some way of turning on the Primary vault on the MacBook Pro? Out of desperation, I installed the 1Password beta, but that didn't solve the problem.

This may be related to another problem with 1Password on the MacBook Pro. I don't have an option for syncing! How do I sync between devices?

_1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004) 1Password Beta
_OS Version: macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69)

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you have a subscription (account) then syncing is automatic via the 1password web site, so there isn't an option to sync.

The Primary vault is really a hold over from earlier versions before the account. Users are recommended to move everything and then delete it, but you can maintain it if you wish, and you can also recreate one.

Go to the Advanced section of 1PW preferences and then check the Local Vaults section, Allow creation of vaults outside account. Note that this affects your master password. You should then be able to set up your old system of syncing just for the Primary vault.

Do you still have your old MBP? I can't speak about the iPad Pro, but it would be easy on a Mac to move all the passwords from the Primary Vault to another vault.

• @PauHana658

The best option is to move all of your data to your account vault. Not seeing a Primary vault is a great indication you are using an account because the sync tab is not shown.

1. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit and can login to https://my.1password.com
    2. Copy all of your data to the Personal/Private vault. If you have some data there presently, you may to only move some of your items.
    3. Remove the Primary vault from all of your devices.
  • PauHana658
    PauHana658
    Community Member
    Options

Finally found some free time to try out these suggestions (end-of-the-year grading is a major time suck). Turned out to be a rather painless process. Created a primary vault on the MacBook Pro and synced it to iCloud. I now have access to all those "missing" password items. I then managed to move all of the items to my private vault by mistake (wanted to move them to a newly created vault), so now I have over a thousand duplicate passwords. Oh, well. A few hours during the holidays should be enough to fix that problem.

Thanks for the tips on getting back those primary vault passwords!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @PauHana658! I am glad to hear that you managed to sort things out :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.