Passphrase question

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Mac

Since the feature I’m asking about doesn’t exist, I’m sure there’s a reason.

I know there is very little difference between using a password and comparable passphrase but one omission in creating a passphrase concerns me. Many sites require at least one special character in a new password but 1P has no option for a special character or symbol when creating a new passphrase. However, there is such an option when creating a new password.

There must be a reason, yet most other competitors offer this option. I’m not advocating to jump ship but it seems like a reasonable feature request, given its requirement on so many sites.

Comments

• @LarryMcJ

Our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts (AKA: security team lead), Jeffrey Goldberg, delves into some of the details here. I believe this will help. If you have any questions please let us know.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/508219/#Comment_508219

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy. I would agree with what Jeffery says, but I still can't find an answer to my primary issue in his comments. First, part of this is my fault as I mentioned special character in my original post. Actually, 1P compensates for this with the word separator, which is a special character. I meant to say number, which 1P will not add to a passphrase. Many websites specifically require "one lowercase, one uppercase, one number and one special character (or symbol). As such, this forces me to use a password instead of a passphrase. I'm fine with that but I prefer to use a passphrase at times and can't with the 1P restriction (or omission). Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ:

Many websites specifically require "one lowercase, one uppercase, one number and one special character (or symbol).

If you use the Digits and Symbols separator, it will create password exactly as you are asking ;)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Thanks, @ag_ana. Your suggestion suffices, though not exactly what I was hoping for. Regardless, I'll use it for now. The purpose of using a passphrase is so it's both memorable and secure - for those few passwords that have to be both. Something like Pundit8-Bungalow-Drier was what I was hoping for, especially a consistent separator. By adding either automatic first letter caps for each word (or even one cap on one word), only one random number and a consistent separator, the requirements of nearly all websites are satisfied yet it's memorable. But even if other password generators use this methodology, I'm sure there's a hole in it somewhere. Regardless, thanks for your suggestion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @LarryMcJ, always happy to help :)

This discussion has been closed.