MacBook Air 2020 intel on Big Sur 1Password slow to open

Options
sdades
sdades
Community Member

i'm finding that on my 2020 MacBook Air running Big Sur, 1password is slow to open from safari and also when I need to authenticate, it often takes several tries with my fingerprint and in some cases requires the password.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 11.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:performance

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sdades!

Thank you for reporting this. Our developers are investigating this, and hopefully will have an update soon :)

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

I'm unclear if it's a result of Big Sur, but 1Password is much slower than I'm accustomed to. I'm running on both a late 2017 MBP and a 2019 Air. Performance, especially opening from the browser (in my case, Chrome) has degraded considerably of late.

• @shawnyeager

Have you given1Password a complete quit?

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.

The developers are still looking into reported performance issues.

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

My laptops have been rebooted for updates, so I don't believe that's it. Thanks.

• @shawnyeager

Are you using our companion app extension or 1Password X?

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure I follow. I'm using 1Password v7.7 from the App Store and the browser extensions it installs.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@shawnyeager

You mentioned that 1Password was slow to start in Chrome, if 1Password has to start the helper when you start the browser it may appear slow to start. Do you see the helper in the menu bar?

Please check 1Password > Preferences > Browsers -- Make sure Always Keep 1Password Extension Helper Running is enabled

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@shawnyeager

My apologies for the double questions/posts. Are you using Touch ID? The developers are looking into the reports of such behavior with Touch ID.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report. Please use the following link to create that report for your device and if at all possible capture it while the slowness is occurring.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:
    About 1Password diagnostics reports https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/
    Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. shawnyeager
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/581442/#Comment_581442

• Do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder.

Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

No problem. I am using Touch ID, but primarily Apple Watch double-tap. It's slow with both methods, but most of all, the app is slow to launch from both Command-/ in-browser, as well as from Spotlight launch.

support ID: [#RCB-41214-962]

• @shawnyeager

I was able to locate your submission. Someone will be with you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

ref: RCB-41214-962

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

Super. Thanks, Tommy.

• Glad to help!

• bowhun2r
    bowhun2r
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? I'm experiencing exactly what @shawnyeager is. Big Sur 11.1/1Password 1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)/ Mac Pro 2017/ Touch ID and Watch.

I've disabled the watch thinking that may have something to do with it. No luck. The browser extension (I'm using Safari) as well as the app itself is slow to respond. Almost at times I think it's frozen before it finally fills in the browser user/password fields. I still have touchID enabled. After the Big Sur update is when I saw this happen. Prior to Big Sur...very snappy both browser and app performance.

Thank you, Scott

• The developers have released a new 1Password beta which they hope address most of the issues reported here. Please update and let us know how it goes.

If you are not on the beta and would like to try it out, use this set of instructions.

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

While I haven't updated to the Beta, I wonder if others have and if so do you find it responding better? Tommy, any idea when the beta might make it to production? Thanks

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

Hi- seeing lots of performance issues reported by others with Big Sur but can't find any responses from 1password team. Please advise what can be done to fix the issues. thank you

• Ben
    Options

@sdades

We are tracking a couple of outstanding performance issues with 1Password for Mac. Some of these have been addressed in the latest beta release, but two that it appears still exist for some customers are:

• Slowness while unlocking (particularly if Touch ID is enabled)
    • Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items

We need further information on these situations in order to resolve them. If you are having any performance / slowness issues with 1Password for Mac I would encourage you to try the beta version:

Use 1Password beta releases

The next time you experience this slowness, while running the latest beta, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/117607/macbook-air-2020-intel-on-big-sur-1password-slow-to-open#latest
    • Your forum username
    • What happens leading up to the app being slow or under what conditions the problem is noted

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics. Thanks very much!

Ben

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. I did install the beta and am still seeing sluggishness - especially round Touch ID. I'll do as you suggested and post the number here.

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. ran the diagnostic tool. It took along time and at some point wanted me to grant access to something in the system.

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#WQA-89366-963]

thank you

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @sdades! I see we've received the report. Hopefully it will help the development team track the issue down. We may reach out by email for additional troubleshooting or information if any is needed. Thanks!

Ben

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, folks. Any progress on resolving this problem?

• @shawnyeager

No, not presently. We are still working with 7.7.1 beta 4 at the moment. Have you tried the beta?

• shawnyeager
    shawnyeager
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I have. No noticeable improvement.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you for the update @shawnyeager. Please keep an eye out on the release notes for the next betas :+1:

• Ben
    Options

Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items

This improvement has been made in the 7.7.1 BETA-5 version:

Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items {#5191}

If you are not already using the latest beta and are having performance issues with 1Password for Mac please give this version a try:

Use 1Password beta releases

Ben

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben
    Any updates? I have the latest beta and while I see it preforming better after I quit the app, over time it still is quite slow. Any eta on when this might be resolved as I notice more and more people are posting around the same issue. Would be great to hear something from 1password on what's going on. Thanks

• @sdades

The developers are still working on the reported issues in our betas. We appreciate everyones patience. 1Password 7.7.1 beta 6 is the current build available.

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, Where are we with this. I saw a recent release on iOS but with the beta turned on Im not sure if a general release has been made available. When the time comes how do I leave the beta? Right now I'm on
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-9 (70701009)
    1Password Beta

thanks

• @sdades

The beta is still on going at this point. However, I have hopes we are nearing the end of the cycle.

1Password will update itself to the latest release version. When that happens Open 1Password > Preferences > Updates and uncheck the option for include beta builds.

Stop using the 1Password beta releases

This discussion has been closed.