Serious Thought on Security

Options
bcrowl
bcrowl
Community Member
edited December 2020 in iOS

I’ve noticed that if I copy a field in 1Password on one device (e.g. my iPhone), it’ll stay in the clipboard of my other iCloud-connected Apple devices (e.g. my iPad), even after it’s been cleared by the app on the device I first copied it from. The concern is around the Universal Clipboard feature of iCloud, and I’m wondering if 1Password can clear out not only the clipboard from the first device, but also the Universal Clipboard itself (this is possible in an unrelated way through the use of the Shortcuts app). And if this is a limitation due to Apple themselves, can this concern be floated to them through your connection to them as a developer? Thanks!

P.S. If what I’m talking about is indeed already implemented, then I would pivot to this being a potential bug or unintended result.

1Password Version: 7.7 BETA-9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.2
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• bcrowl
    bcrowl
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

This should've been posted under iOS Beta, but I don't see an option to move it there. My mistake!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bcrowl!

My apologies for the late reply! Your post must have slipped through the cracks :( I wanted to send you a quick update to let you know that I have asked our security team to chime in on this when they have a moment :+1:

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are absolutely correct, @bcrowl, and I wish I had a better answer for you.

We are aware of this and so is Apple, and at the moment, we can only continue to suggest that people using Universal Clipboard be aware of the implications of their decision. Because Universal Clipboard imposes its own clipboard clearing mechanism, it interacts poorly with the mechanism to restore the clipboard to its previous state after a certain amount of time. I don't anticipate an easy fix. But perhaps my pessimism is unwarranted.

This discussion has been closed.