Personal vault (migration) process for employees leaving the company.

Is there a best practice, suggestion, or idea for 1Password Teams admins to transfer or migrate a personal vault for employees leaving the company? This seems like a process that would happen quite often in the community at large. Keep in mind that there may be different scenarios of the employee leaving (terminated, retiring, etc.)

At first, I thought it would be easy to just remove company vaults and let the individual have access to their personal vault for 30 days. That way they could export or get a personal account and move/copy. However, we use a shared vault that includes all team members and can't necessarily remove access from that vault without affecting all users as the team member group does not allow you to remove a 'single' user.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dixie_tech
    dixie_tech
    Community Member

I guess an alternative would be to create a 'shared' vault and manually add employees to a group attached to that vault. Then you could remove a member at any given time. However, that would make it a manual process to add new hires. Too bad their isn't a way to remove a member from the team group.....or the ability to select the check box on a manually created vault to automatically add 'new team members' to vault.

• Hi @dixie_tech! This is a great question, and I'd be happy to assist you with some specific steps to take.

Since we've received very similar questions to yours from other customers in the past, we recently created a specific guide for how to properly offboard team members. This involves steps on how to handle any personal data they may have stored in their Private vault, along with instructions for updating any shared data they had access to while a part of the team:

Offboard a team member

I'd also like to touch on a few other points you noted:

However, we use a shared vault that includes all team members and can't necessarily remove access from that vault without affecting all users as the team member group does not allow you to remove a 'single' user.

With this specific example, this is something that is addressed in the first portion of our offboarding guide, as the user should ideally move any data not related to their work over to a personal account soon after it's determined they're leaving the company. Once that's done, the second step can be performed to suspend the user's access to the work account entirely without having to worry about them losing access to any personal data, while also revoking their access to any data they no longer need.

I guess an alternative would be to create a 'shared' vault and manually add employees to a group attached to that vault. Then you could remove a member at any given time.

This is definitely one potential option! Granting access to a company-wide shared vault via a custom group instead of the built-in Team Members group would offer more granular control if you'd prefer to allow team members to have their 1Password accounts remain active but "limited" while being offboarded. However, like you mentioned, this would be a manual process to add any new team members to this custom group during onboarding.

Too bad their isn't a way to remove a member from the team group.....or the ability to select the check box on a manually created vault to automatically add 'new team members' to vault.

While I think the inherent nature of the Team Members group applying to any active users is here to stay, your latter idea here regarding user-created and shared vaults having an option to automatically add any new members of a team to during onboarding is something I'd be happy to pass over to our engineering team for further consideration. While I can't make any promises about the future, we do take these kinds of ideas and feedback very seriously. :smile:

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you, and thanks for taking the time to reach out to us about this!

• dixie_tech
    dixie_tech
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_joshua - The offboarding article is a good procedure for anticipated employee departures.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_joshua, you are welcome @dixie_tech! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :)

This discussion has been closed.