My settings will not stay the way I set them

Options
senioruserfriendly
senioruserfriendly
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I use 1PasswordX 1.2.2.3 using Firefox (84.0.2) on MacBook with OS Big Sur 11.1. (all latest version). I also have 1password installed on my iPhone and iPad, but can’t find where the version is.

Randomly, my saved settings change to the default settings. When I want to change these, I'm taken to moz-extension://(xxxxxxxxxxxxx)/app/app.html#/page/settings. I used to think I was making these changes online as the browser took me there. I open the extension, click on settings, click on settings once again (why?) to change these.

Here are the changes I make.

• Lock after system is idle_ (from default of 10 to 180)_
  • Check for vulnerable passwords (from default of off to on)
  • Make 1Password the default password manager_ (from default of off to on)_

I’m the only user of my computer. Sometime later, I fill find all these settings reverted. Sometimes the changes will stay for a day or so, other times for a few hours. What is happening? Might it have to do with rebooting or cache clearing? Another extension? Keebler Elves? Sleepwalking in an Ambien daze? Skippy, my evil twin?

Thanks.

1Password Version: ? na
Extension Version: 1.2.2.3
OS Version: osx big sur 11.1
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @senioruserfriendly!

Might it have to do with rebooting or cache clearing? Another extension?

Both of these could be causing what you are seeing. Is your browser set to delete history, cache or cookies upon quitting perhaps?

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member
    Options

I have to delete the cache in firefox fairly often. Or reboot the computer when everything slows down. I thinik I can exclude some things. I'm not sure if this is on a "site." How can I exclude this?

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member
    Options

I'm looking at the other things on this page:

• default password program,
    • default locking time,
    • language,
    • shortcut key,
    • autofill,
    • which account I use, and more.

I **THINK **this is on the website and not my mac because it displays the url of
      moz-extension://~~~~~/app/app.html#/page/settings (or is this on my mac?)

I'm not a programmer, but doesn't the cache hold information to display quickly and information so the website knows it is me?

I could see that deleting a cache would make some information appear more slowly or for a website to ask for my id/pwd again.

I'm not saying you're wrong....does deleting a cache would CHANGE data?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @senioruserfriendly ,

1Password X stores data in your browser's localstorage, which is cleared when you clear cache and cookies. There's no real way around it because that's the only place an extension can store information in Firefox.

Every time you clear your browser's cache and cookies you will reset 1Password X's settings.
    The URL moz-extension://~~~~~/app/app.html#/page/settings is local in your browser (that is stored on your computer) and not online.

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused. With the last update, the information does not get erased. ???
    And it stays open for the time I've selected. (180 min)
    But every so often it shuts down and I have to enter my password again. When I check, the setting still says 180, but it has locked within minutes. ???

When I click on the Extension, then settings, it shows 180. I click settings again and it shows 180. But today when I logged on to 1password.com, it said 10 min under my profile.

Help me understand why there are 3 places to set the timing, how it now seems to keep my choice in two of them, and why it doesn't always work?

This is my third Pwd Program and the only one I've paid for. It does a good job of keeping/updating passwords for me though navigation is confusing and I frequently can't get back to the same place I was at. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what information is stored where. I recently gave a presentation on Privacy, and though I wanted to make 1Password my recommended program and use it in my demo, I couldn't do that as I can't find my way about. I can't explain what I don't understand.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@senioruserfriendly:

When I click on the Extension, then settings, it shows 180. I click settings again and it shows 180. But today when I logged on to 1password.com, it said 10 min under my profile.

The extension and the website are two separate things, with two separate unlock times by default :+1: You can change the website to lock after a long period of time too, if you prefer :+1:

Help me understand why there are 3 places to set the timing

What is the third place you are referring to?

• senioruserfriendly
    senioruserfriendly
    Community Member
    Options

After several password programs, I've chosen 1password. It lets me have separate passwords for each site and I know the information is safe and is the proper one.

It seems that there hasn't been a strategy as to whether it would be a standalone or browser extension. And as you continue to revise them, you have 3 pages/sites for 1Password. There's a browser extension. And there are other starting pages on the web. Links go between them and one doesn't know what is going to be on which page. Some commands are duplicated. Styles are inconsistent. Rather than tweak each, take a few sheets of newsprint and come up with a consistent style, and put things where the user would expect to use it. You could do it the same for Mac, Windows, etc. That would simplify your work in providing training and support I still can't find the password generator.

You've got a good program, but it seems that there's no vision as to the User Interface. Get that taken care of and you'll blow away the competition. If you aren't sure, bring in a team of people who are competent at using computers but have not yet used a password generator and ask them to do the tasks that we all rely upon.

Thanks. I hope to continue to use 1Password. The engine is strong and reliable, but it needs a good paint job.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @senioruserfriendly ,
    Thank you for the feedback.

We're currently working on unifying 1Password's interface on all platforms, so hopefully the experience will be much simpler in the future.
    For now, there are three ways to use 1Password:

• In our web app (when you log into your account at https://my.1password.com).
    • In your browser via the 1Password extension.
    • On your computer/phone/tablet using the 1Password native app.

I suggest you stick to the 1Password in the browser extension, which allows you to autofill in websites and save new login. The password generator can be found by opening the extension (click on its icon on the top right corner of the browser), select the big PLUS icon there to reveal the menu and select the Password Generator in the menu.
    When you edit an item in the extension, it does open the web app, where you can edit and manage your items, but you can also do that more comfortably in the desktop app, so when editing items, the choice is yours where you prefer to do that :)

This discussion has been closed.