Creating new account in Families

rickboden
rickboden
Community Member

I just installed ver. 7 in my wife's computer but I inadvertently made it my account, not hers. Now I don't know how to create her own Family account as 1Password won't let me add an account. I have to say I find the Family Accounts confusing. I did send her an invitation a year ago and she set up her own account but because she was on an older version she never had the app. Sorry if this question is a bit foggy but I really don't have a handle on this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rickboden
    rickboden
    Community Member

To simplify my question, I inadvertently set up my administrator account on my wife's computer. How can I get rid of this and set up her own account? Preferences>Accounts will not let me do this.

• rickboden
    rickboden
    Community Member

Problem solved. For some reason logging my admin account out and logging back in using my wife's account worked this time and I think what made the difference is that I had her account logged into 1Password online at the same time.

• @rickboden

Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

• Deadstk
    Deadstk
    Community Member

Similar issue.

I transitioned to 1P Families a couple of years ago and invited my wife to join as a family member. She was on standalone 1P 6 at the time so didn't see the value in joining. Of course that invite has long disappeared.

She got a new computer so I downloaded 1Password 7 and added her existing vault from her old 1P 6 (standalone) to what I thought would be a new family member account (hers). Entered what I thought was her info from my Families account. Evidently not because now accessing her existing vault works, but the problem is she can only access 1Password 7 with my password. Preferences shows my name is a subscriber which does not seem right but since it's a Families account I'm not quite sure.

How do I fix this?

• Do I delete her on my Families account and then re-invite her and follow the process outlined in the invitation?
    • If so, can I import her vault which is currently on Dropbox?
    • Will deleting her interfere with or somehow delete her vault?

To outline what I'm trying to do...
    1. Add my wife as a family member to my families account.
    2. Have her have her own unique login for her computer and mobile devices.
    3. Connect to her existing vault (don't care about any shared vaults with her at this time).
    4. Ultimately keep our logins and vaults separate and unique.

From what understand about Families this should be doable. Not sure how to proceed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Deadstk:

Evidently not because now accessing her existing vault works, but the problem is she can only access 1Password 7 with my password. Preferences shows my name is a subscriber which does not seem right but since it's a Families account I'm not quite sure.

Indeed, it sounds like you added your account to her 1Password app.

How do I fix this?

You should invite her to your Families account as a separate member, so she will get her own credentials:

Add and remove family members

Do I delete her on my Families account and then re-invite her and follow the process outlined in the invitation?

If she did not store the login information from the time she was first invited, but you did invite her once already, you can also recover the account instead of creating a new one:

Recover accounts for family or team members

From what understand about Families this should be doable.

Indeed, this is doable :+1:

This discussion has been closed.