Upgraded to 7.7 – Password history GONE??? [No; moved]

wj1pfan
wj1pfan
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Mac

I just upgraded to 7.7, and now it seems there is no longer any record of past passwords? I can't find them anywhere. If intentional, this is DEFINITELY NOT a good change. If unintentional, something needs fixing URGENTLY.

I did notice that, while it no longer seems to keep track of past passwords, version 7.7 now displays when a login was last used? I don't remember seeing that information before. That seems like a step backwards in terms of privacy.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wj1pfan! Welcome to the forum!

I just upgraded to 7.7, and now it seems there is no longer any record of past passwords? I can't find them anywhere. If intentional, this is DEFINITELY NOT a good change. If unintentional, something needs fixing URGENTLY.

The feature is still available, it was just moved ;) Please hover over the password field in a Login item, and click on the little arrow to bring up a menu with all the options, including password history:

I did notice that, while it no longer seems to keep track of past passwords, version 7.7 now displays when a login was last used? I don't remember seeing that information before. That seems like a step backwards in terms of privacy.

This has always been the case, it's not something new in version 7.7.

• wj1pfan
    wj1pfan
    Community Member

Ah, that's an elegant presentation, and perhaps a more logical location. It just isn't very discoverable for longtime users, when the release notes merely say "The item detail has been redesigned from the ground up." Therefore the momentary panic ;)

Thanks for your help. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @wj1pfan! And thank you for the feedback :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member

Just came here to say, "phew." I thought the password history was gone as well, and, well, one of my items has the note: Use the saved password from November 22. (Don't ask me why, well…do ask me why…because the associated website is for a service that has tried to consolidate account management from several services they inherited and have been doing a bad job.)

• @dmittman

I am happy to hear you found your answer. That's the beauty in this community. If you have any questions, we're here to help. :)

• wj1pfan
    wj1pfan
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Original poster here. Something's not right. A website just prompted me to update my password when I signed in. It told me that I last updated my password on 8-13-2020, which matched the date 1Password showed. I generated a new password, and updated 1Password when it prompted me upon submitting the form.

But then I signed out and the new password was rejected when I tried to log back in. The problem is – when I went to look for the password history as pictured above, it wasn't there! What's going on? I'm still on 7.7, so nothing has changed with regard to 1Password on my system. My first time having to refer to the new password history location, and it's not working. This is getting very frustrating!

Update 1: To be clear, when I updated the password, the old password was not added to the list of previous passwords. The only password I have is the current one.

Update 2: This is getting weird. I have wifi sync enabled, so I decided to close 1Password on the desktop and open my cell phone to grab the old password. So then I looked and saw that the "old" password was the current password, despite 1Password claiming the entry had been updated today... I went to the password item created when the new password was generated and pasted it in. Now it's working...but I don't understand how the entry got updated today without actually saving the new password the first time.

• wj1pfan
    wj1pfan
    Community Member

Another weird issue: I decided to update my password on another site. I used another program to generate a random passphrase, and I copied it to the clipboard. I pasted it into the site's form and submitted it. When I did so, 1Password detected this and offered to update the login accordingly. However, after this happened, while I can confirm the password was updated properly, my username was also changed to a seemingly random value of alphanumeric characters, separated by hyphens. I say "seemingly" because the characters used are all within the hexadecimal range (0-9, a-f). This is very strange. Have I discovered a bug?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wj1pfan:

Did you create a new Login item during the password update perhaps? Did you end up having two items for a brief time, one with the old password and one with the new one? What you are describing sounds similar to what happens when you create a new item instead of updating an existing one.

• wj1pfan
    wj1pfan
    Community Member

@ag_ana: I wish it could be something so simple, but I am positive that in both cases, I was extremely careful to click the "Update Existing" option.

The only new item, as evidenced by creation date, is the password item created when I generated the new password in the first example. In the second example, I generated the password with another program, so no new item was created. In either case, there are no new login items.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wj1pfan:

Understood, thank you for the clarification. I could not reproduce this so far, but I will be more than happy to test this if you find a way to consistently reproduce this :+1:

This discussion has been closed.