To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

master code doesnt work on 1password 7 app

PTR
PTR
Community Member

Hi, I had a 1password acct in 2018 for a while.
I just rejoined :)
and i can login on iphone and at 1 password website
but not on the desktop app. when i was installing the desktop app,
there was a mention of the 2018 info and i chose the "recommended option."
I think that might b the problem but idk how to fix
i deleted the desktop app but im guessing that the app wants my old code

thank you in advance for any suggestions!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master code doesnt work on 1password 7 app

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Did you try to reinstall the Windows app, so that your login dates are required? Please use the login from your new account.

• PTR
    PTR
    Community Member

Hi, thank you for your help
    my google extention works perfectly
    but when i try to use safari, I am prompted for the master key. It wants the master key from my first 1 password acct. I dont know that password.

I have unistalled the 1 password 7 app and reinstalled, but it still wont work
    id like to be able to use safari.

thank you!
    Pat

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

but when i try to use safari, I am prompted for the master key. It wants the master key from my first 1 password acct. I dont know that password.

I'm not a staff member and I think 1Password-Support should / could help. Did you try to contact them via email "support@1password.com"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PTR:

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

From what you are saying, it sounds like you have a Primary vault in your 1Password app, and that is why Safari is prompting you for that password. Can you confirm this is the case?

• PTR
    PTR
    Community Member

Ty for responding
    I’m being prompted for the old password for my old vault (2018) by safari pword 7. Uninstalling pword 7 doesn’t fix it

I don’t have the old pword either

Google 1 pword accepts my new pword and opens my new vault

I didn’t use a google ext in 2018

Thank you for your help. Have a good day :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PTR:

I’m being prompted for the old password for my old vault (2018) by safari pword 7. Uninstalling pword 7 doesn’t fix it

Uninstalling 1Password 7 does not remove the data, if you are absolutely sure that you cannot remember this old password, and that you don't care about losing the data inside it, you can reset the 1Password app:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

After resetting the app, you will be able to use the new credentials, the one you know, to configure the app again.

• PTR
    PTR
    Community Member

Thank you. I hate to uninstall bc i already have a bunch of stored pwords that i use on google chrome

there has to be something stored on safari on my desktop still even though i unistalled pword 7, bc
    when i open safari on my iphone and use 1pword, it accepts my new password .

have a good day, and thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PTR:

Yes, it's an old vault in your 1Password desktop app that is prompting you for this different password. Resetting the app would remove this vault and allow you to open the desktop app with the same password you use to unlock 1Password on your other devices :+1:

• PTR
    PTR
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your help.
    So how do I save a copy of one password on my desktop, off-line, so that I don’t lose my 40+ passwords that I have saved now?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PTR:

If these 40+ are stored in your 1Password account (the one you are able to access on the 1Password.com website), there is no need to export them. After resetting the 1Password app, you can simply add your 1Password account to the 1Password app once again, and your items will be there again.

If you are not sure how your app is currently configured, or you would like to double check this before proceeding, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at how you configured your 1Password app.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• PTR
    PTR
    Community Member

sent! thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PTR:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• Joshua_ag
    edited January 2021

@PTR

I just wanted to follow for @ag_ana, we have found your email & Ben has been helping you. Expect an email from me with some additional information.

ref: XHV-19972-414

This discussion has been closed.