Update existing login not working

martinmich
martinmich
Community Member

When I change passwords for an existing login in Chrome, the update/save popup shows up as expected. However, when I select "update existing" and choose the login I want to update, the new password (generated from within 1Password) doesn't replace the old one. I noticed this happening as I go back to the page to login (even right after changing the password) and the logins are incorrect. Revealing the password in 1Password shows the old one still. I sync my vault via Dropbox but I don't think that's the problem as the vault itself isn't updating. Help?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @martinmich

Do you, by chance, have duplicate entries for the same login?

• martinmich
    martinmich
    Community Member

Single entry, no duplicates.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@martinmich:

When this happens, does the generated password perhaps get stored in a separate password item in the Passwords category?

• martinmich
    martinmich
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@ag_ana @ag_tommy:

Yes it does. One with no username, just the password. I just went through the process for my password on this board.

You see here I'm updating the existing login item (that is the only entry in the dropdown as well)

Then I see this password only item from the generated password after choosing to update the existing login item

When I look at the login item, it shows that it has been modified (see below). However if I reveal the password and compare it to the one in the separate password item they are different. The password in the login item is still the old one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@martinmich:

Thank you for all the information! I have managed to find an internal discussion where our developers are investigating exactly this behavior, so I will add your experience there :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#3948

• martinmich
    martinmich
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks. Is it possible to get some update on the issue. It's really making my 1Password workflow problematic.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@martinmich:

At the moment I am afraid that there are no updates to share since last week. When this will be addressed it will likely be mentioned in the release notes, so keep an eye on those ;)

• martinmich
    martinmich
    Community Member

@ag_ana Is there a workaround that can be used until the issue is resolved?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@martinmich:

It might not be a workaround in the proper sense of the word, but you could use the 1Password X browser extension while our developers investigate this. Here is some more information about it:

Get to know 1Password X

• bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member

For more data this seems to have 3 different occurences

1) Don't give the update prompt just create a new password entry - most sites
    2) Show the update dialog but do not save into the main entry just sabve as 1 - just got that on changing microsoft password
    3) It works - just done on ibm.com

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the clarification @bestlem :+1:

• cdj
    cdj
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue, for quite some time now. It messes everything up because you trust your password is saved, when in reality it's not (at least not in the place you'd expect). So the next time I log in on that website and it tells me the password is wrong, I lose trust in my 1P vault for keeping my passwords safe. In addition to that I get annoyed because I have to dive into my 1P history of used passwords or reset my password for that website because somehow, despite using a password manager, I stay disorganised.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cdj:

Thank you for the feedback! Our developers have addressed this in the beta channel, so if you are already using the beta, you should already see improvements :+1:

• MarcoG
    MarcoG
    Community Member

Yes, have the same issues with Safari and PW 7.7. I almost got locked out of my BoA account because the password was not stored in 1PW's BoA information entry but as a separate password.

• @MarcoG

1Password saves generated passwords as a safety precaution. I am glad you could make use of the feature.

• MarcoG
    MarcoG
    Community Member

Understand that this is a feature. But it is confusing when it is supposed to update the password of a log in information but instead generates a new entry for a password alone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @MarcoG, thank you for the clarification :+1:

This discussion has been closed.