MFA Token Discrepancy between 1Password Mini and 1Password

Options
Mutahhir
Mutahhir
Community Member

This caught be a bit off guard as I was trying to use AWS CLI with an MFA Token. The API kept telling me the MFA was expired, but I didn't quite get it. However, I believe I've found a bug with 1Password Mini.

How to reproduce

• Open 1Password App
  • Find a login with MFA token within 1Password
  • Open 1Password mini (either with shortcut or via menubar),
  • Find the same login within 1Password Mini
  • Observe the timeout on both 1Password and 1Password Mini
  • Should be syncronised right now
  • Either click on the MFA to copy on Mini, or dismiss Mini
  • Wait for a short while
  • Reopen 1Password Mini and navigate to the same login.
  • You should at this point see that the MFA between 1Password and 1Password Mini are either different or have different timeouts (depending on how long you waited)

Bonus Observation

• After re-opening, keep Mini open, and you'll see it run out the timer on the current timer, and then show the next token with a small timer, and then change it again.

My system details

• MacOS Big Sur (11.1 (20C69))
  • MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • 1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Mac App Store

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.1 (20C69)
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mutahhir! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for reporting this! Our developers are aware of this visual bug, so hopefully we will have a fix soon. In the meantime, I have let them know that you are also experiencing this :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#5067

• robgolding
    robgolding
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in here to say that I'm experiencing this bug as well, and it's been causing a lot of confusion! I also use 1Password to manage my MFA token for the AWS CLI, so not sure if that detail is part of what's causing the issue to be triggered. After rotating my AWS keys and resetting my password multiple times, I realised that 1Password was actually giving my the wrong OTP every time I open it!

That is to say, the bug is not just visual - the incorrect value gets copied to the clipboard, preventing a successful auth. Now I know the bug exists I can wait up to 30s for the counter to reset and the correct token to eventually be displayed. Hope it can be fixed soon, though :-D

• @robgolding

I'm sorry for the trouble you've had. Indeed we hope to get this resolved. I have added you to the list of those affected by this.

• Mutahhir
    Mutahhir
    Community Member
    Options

@robgolding yeah, the problem isn’t visual. You could also get around waiting by just using the 1Password app itself. It always has the correct OTP, just Mini is broken.

• :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.