1 Password Subscription Mac. Why is local folder created in Documents?

Options
vicfalc09
vicfalc09
Community Member

I have a 1Password subscription and I am trying to understand why a folder is still automatically created in my Documents folder?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:local folder

Comments

• @vicfalc09

We do not create a folder in your Documents folder while using a membership. Do you have some vestige of a left over setup that was pointed at that location. If you previously used a folder sync method perhaps it was pointed at this location? What is the name of the folder you see?

• vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

@ag_tommy

/Users/vic/Documents/1Password/1Password.legacyagilekeychain

Created: January 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM

• vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options
  • vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options

Wait, if I install the 1Password app on my Mac is that folder created even though I using the subscription model?
    @ag_tommy

• @vicfalc09

That location is part of an old keychain and would have been used prior to membership. If all of your data is in your membership and you verify that by logging into https://my.1password.com , you can remove that keychain from your Documents folder. While you are logged into 1Password.com, please make sure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

• vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

I have verified that all my data is in my membership. I have deleted this folder twice and it keeps coming back for some reason. Seem like it is getting recreated by the local app somehow, can I stop this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vicfalc09:

Do you perhaps have a local vault called Primary in your 1Password app? I wonder if that is what is recreating that file.

• vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @ag_tommy

Let me know if this screen shot is helpful. I only see my one vault in the app, which I believe is just my subscription Vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vicfalc09:

Thank you for the screenshot! Can you give this quick test a try?

1. Completely quit 1Password (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely)
    2. Delete this old keychain file
    3. Wait a couple of minutes to make sure that the file does not appear again
    4. Launch 1Password again
    5. Check that folder again: is there a new keychain file in there?
  • vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @ag_tommy

So far it has not come back, I will keep watching it and let you know if it does. I did this multiple times and it always came back so well see..

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you for the update @vicfalc09! :+1:

• vicfalc09
    vicfalc09
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

The issue has not persisted, thank you for the support!

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.