Logging in to websites where a password is replaced by random questions

I am currently trying out 1Password and, while I like it, I wanted to ask if there is any way to utilize it for websites where there is no set password. I have a bank account with Bank of Ireland and, while there is a set login ID, the login process then follows with two questions. One can be an a request for date of birth or contact phone number, which is easily know by the account holder. If that is answered correctly, the next step is a request for three digits of a six digit number that I was provided with when access to login banking was originally granted. For example, they might request you to enter the second, fourth and fifth number of that 6-digit code. A subsequent login will request that different digits be keyed in from that same 6-digit sequence.

I'm guessing that 1Password can't deal with a somewhat random login sequence like this, but I just wanted to check if information can be stored handily in 1Password to facilitate at least the six digit code number, even if I have to key in the individual numbers requested at the time of each login. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Logging in to websites where a password is replaced by random questions

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @brerep ,

There is no way for us (or any other autofilling app out there) to handle such random login sequences unless they give a very unique and distinctive name for every field on the page, in which case we might be able to create a custom field in the login item for each field on the website. That is very rarely the case though.

We know that banking websites often go above and beyond in making things difficult for users when it comes to logging into an account, which is why we wrote an open letter that users can utilize and send to their banks, so do feel free to use it!

Can you let me know a little bit about your setup so I can provide you with the best approach for handling such a login page? Are you on a Mac or a Windows PC? Which browser do you use? Which 1Password extension version is installed in your browser?

• brerep
    brerep
    Community Member

Hi, For my initial setup, I am using 1PasswordX on Edge with Windows 10 and the extension release number is 1.22.3. I also have the 1Password app on two Android devices, both using One UI version 2.5. Thanks for any suggestions that you can provide.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the info @brerep .

In 1Passowrd X on your computer, you can create custom fields for each one of the fields on the website, then use drag and drop to fill those fields. While not quick as autofill, it will help you get past the login page quite easily. Here's how:

1. On your computer, open your browser and unlock 1Password X.
    2. Find the login for this bank's website, select it and click on "Edit".
    3. A new tab will open where you can edit the login's details. Under the username, password and website URL you'll see some empty fields that you can utilize. Select an empty Label and give it a name (e.g. "Answer 1") and under the label input the answer to quesiton #1 that the website asks you.
    4. Repeat step 3 and create as many fields you need with answers to the security questions so you'll have them all ready when needed. You can also create fields for each digit fron the random digits it asks you (e.g. a field named "1st Digit", "2nd Digit" etc).
    5. When you are done, click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
    6. Get to the login page of the website, and when it asks you one of the details that you cannot autofill, click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser to open it, find the field you need, grab it with your mouse and drop it into the field on the website. You can repeat this step for every field on the page.

I hope you'll find drag & drop useful for this (annoying) login page! :)

• brerep
    brerep
    Community Member

That's great to know and I'll try setting it up that way. Thanks for your quick response and suggestion!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_yaron, you are welcome @brerep! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.