Advice on structuring vaults for a small business

In_Search_Of_Answers
In_Search_Of_Answers
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Business and Teams

I'm looking for some advice on a good vaults structure for a business team, which I'm currently setting up. Its a small team of about 10 people.

By default it seems new users are provisioned with a Private and Shared Vault.

Question 1:
Lots of documentation I’ve been reading refers to a personal vault. Is a personal and private vault one and the same, or are they different?

Question 2:
I wonder what the current wisdom on a typical vault structure for a small organisation is? My current thoughts are…

• Private - for storing all individual work-related logins: MS Office, Slack, etc
  • Personal - for storing personal, non-work related logins: Hotmail, Facebook, etc
  • Shared - a generic vault for items which all team members may need access to, and which don’t fit into other categories or which justify creating a dedicated vault for
  • Finance - restricted to finance staff and CEO
  • IT Admin - self explanatory
  • Comms & Media - "
  • Procurement - "

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @In_Search_Of_Answers! Welcome to the 1Password Support Community.

Lots of documentation I’ve been reading refers to a personal vault. Is a personal and private vault one and the same, or are they different?

The Personal and Private vault are essentially the same thing. Every full member of a family, team or business account will have access to their own Private vault. While everyone who signs up for an individual account will have a Personal vault. This is just a way to distinguish individual accounts from other account types that feature vault sharing.

With 1Password Business and Teams, It's best to only store work-related items in your Private vault. That way, any users who leave your organization won't be locked out of their personal email accounts or other services. One great thing about 1Password Business is that every employee is eligible for a free 1Password Families membership, which can be used to securely store their personal items.

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

I wonder what the current wisdom on a typical vault structure for a small organisation is? My current thoughts are...

This is an excellent question and the answer largely depends on your organization's needs and goals. Beyond making use of one's Private vault and the Shared vault, many organizations will organize their vault structure based on department, topic, location, or project, to name some examples.

The setup you proposed is definitely in line with many other small teams. Just be sure that users don't store their personal data in the Private vault of their business account, as they may be locked out of any personal passwords should they ever decide to leave your organization.

Finally, you can make changes to this structure as needed as your team of 10 grows or your needs change. You can learn more about creating and managing vaults in our support article:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Let me know if you have any additional questions! :)

• That's super helpful. Thanks @ag_max

• On behalf of Max, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.