Doesn't seem to be in sync between Mac and iCloud

Kengel
Kengel
Community Member

I'm a bit confused on the vault business. I don't need anything fancy - just the main 1P on my Mac and then access on all my other boxes - iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc.

The attached pic shows how it's currently set up - but in preferences Primary is selected - while in the main window (LH side) the Primary shows On iCloud - with both On My Mac and On iCloud both listed.
This is a bit confusing to me.
I want all my data new and old to always be saved in one Vault - one Primary - and to automatically sync between all the devices regardless of where it might have been created. The MASTER VAULT should be on my Mac if not synced everywhere.

As it is - sometimes on the externals - iPhone etc - I seem to be missing data. (All of those are set to sync to the iCloud "vault") See screenshots of iPhone.
I think something is maybe set up wrong? Are Primary, iCloud and On My Mac three different things?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kengel!

It looks like you created a new vault named 1Password in your iOS app (I am looking at the left of your second screenshot). I think this is why you are seeing this, since there is no vault named 1Password on your Mac.

Are you using this second vault or did you create it by mistake?

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I don't recall having created the one called 1Password - but probably did - Before I just delete - is there a way to sync 2 vaults with one another without creating a zillion duplicates?

The number of items in the vault is slightly different between the two.
    On My Phone - iPassword -1153 items vs
    On iCloud - Primary - 1199 items

I'm probably safe to just delete (My Phone - iPassword) as the one on my Mac is correct (Primary - On iCloud)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kengel:

is there a way to sync 2 vaults with one another without creating a zillion duplicates?

Not at the moment I am afraid. You could move all of the items to one single vault, and then use the duplicate removal feature that is available in 1Password for Mac, but you have quite a few items, so in case this didn't work well, you would have a bit of cleanup to do!

If you are sure that everything you need is in your Primary vault, and your don't need the second "1Password" vault that you created, removing the duplicate vault will probably be the easiest solution.

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

I deleted the vault called 1 Password on my iPhone but it still doesn't sync. It shows 1,199 items vs the desktop at 1,233. I make a change to an item on the Mac and it never changes in the iPhone.
    I must have something set wrong some place but can't figure it out. Do these setting look right?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Kengel:

Thank you for the screenshots! The configuration look ok, all of the devices are using the Primary vault on iCloud from what I can tell. So this sounds like a sync issue with iCloud itself rather than a configuration issue. Can you please try the troubleshooting steps in this article and see if they help?

If you’re having trouble syncing with iCloud

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I wasn't sure about the "show In All Vaults" parameter on the Mac - (upper LH screenshot) I tried turning that on but no help. . You can see in my first post (1/11) it was ON and then later on the 2/12 post I had it OFF. I also tried adding a secure note to make it easier to see if it appears on the iPhone but it never showed up

Following these "trouble syncing" link instructions

Before you reset iCloud data, first turn off sync in 1Password. Make sure to do this on each of your devices:

Mac: Open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password > Preferences. Click Sync, select your Primary vault, and set “Sync Primary vault with” to None.
    iOS: Open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync.
    Then, reset iCloud data in 1Password. You only need to do this on one device:

Mac: In 1Password, choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    iOS: Open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings > Advanced. Scroll down and tap Erase iCloud Data.
    It might take a moment to remove all the data from iCloud. You’ll see a confirmation when it’s done.

Finally, on the same device, set up 1Password to sync with iCloud, then set it up on all your other devices:

I don't believe this is right. It's asking to delete the iCloud data - when what I want to do is actually delete the data on the iPhone - and then sync it up to iCloud/Mac again.

Wouldn't I rather "Erase 1Password Data" on the iPhone instead? (vs erasing the iCloud data?) And then sync again.
    This is why I thought perhaps just deleting the app and then reinstalling it might also work.

Not doing anything just yet. I know the "right" info is on the Mac - the iPhone data is known to be incomplete - and the sync file on iCloud is - unknown but likely OK.

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Damn I just let a very long, detailed reply but it got zapped!

The gist of it is I don't think deleting the iCloud data is going to be the right thing to do when I know the iPhone is inaccurate. Shouldn't I just Erase all 1P data on the iPhone and try to sync again?

The instructions want me to delete the iCloud data and then sync. If I do that from the iPhone I will be force syncing the incorrect data back to the Mac (which is the master data)

EDIT - I tried this and it worked - finally! Solved. :)

• @Kengel

I released your post from the spam queues clutches. You mentioned your query was solved. In the latest post. If you have time, can you confirm that to be the case? Thanks.

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

"You mentioned your query was solved. In the latest post. If you have time, can you confirm that to be the case? Thanks."

Yes - solved - sorry it took a while to come back and reply! All sorted out now, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.