Proposals of 1P in a new password field / How to influence the scheme of the proposal?

Safety
Safety
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hej to all,
When you are on a website and want to register there, 1Password suggests a password. Where can I customize the type of password suggestion in 1Password?
For example, I want the length of the password to be longer, include 3 numbers and 2 special characters.
Is it possible to define this in 1Password for the suggestions?

I would be very pleased about a feedback from you.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Safety!

What version of the 1Password browser extension are you currently using?

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member

Safari 7.7

• ag_michaelc
    edited January 2021

Hey @Safety. 1Password will automatically suggest the best password for the page in the inline menu, based on a list of known good settings and other page attributes. Is there a particular reason for wanting exactly 3 numbers and 2 special characters? Passwords with more restrictions like this reduce the overall entropy (randomness) and are less secure than something more random, so I'm curious of the use case here. :smile:

For more granularity, you can open 1Password mini from the toolbar in Safari (or the macOS menu bar), click + Generate Password, and use the password generator there (and edit as necessary, too), but the strength implications are worth keeping in mind.

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Hej ag_michalc,
    thanks for your answer, hints and questions....
    The only reason is that i always use Passwords between a length of 25 up to 33 characters, numbers, special characters within it. My randomness suggestions seems to short for me? I never use passwords builded by myself, i always take the randomness creations from 1Passwordgenerator but with 30characters. So the main reason for me is to change / influence the length in the randomness suggestions.
    Hope you understand my thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Safety:

My randomness suggestions seems to short for me?

Can you please elaborate on this a little bit? Could you maybe upload a screenshot with an example password, that shows its length?

• smhex
    smhex
    Community Member

Hi all,

how about using the parameters of the password generator to generate the suggested password on a login page? For me it's quite annoying to get a suggestion which does not meet my requirements.

Thanks
    smhex

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Sorry for my delayed answer...

Here is an example...

• Hey @Safety. In the new version of 1Password in your browser, you can change the default password type used for the inline suggestions if you open the pop-up and open the full generator. The example you showed still gives about 80 bit of entropy, which is essentially uncrackable, so I'd still stick with the "Smart Password" suggestions myself, but that's a decision for you to make. :smile:

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc ... Thanks for your suggestions.... But i can´t find the position where i can change that behavior you are writing from....
    I use Safari and use the added Browser1PW-icon/program, but i don't know where to change it.

Thanks a lot.
    Have a lovely day ahead!
    Best regards,

Rolf

• Hi @Safety. Oh, my sincerest apologies; this isn't available in Safari currently, but it is available in Chrome and Firefox with our newer browser extension. I'll let the team know you'd like to see this in Safari, as well.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#66

• Safety
    Safety
    Community Member

Hej ag_michaelc,

thanks so much for your help...!

• You're very welcome. Stay safe, @Safety. :wink:

• smhex
    smhex
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc ,

does your answer mean that the browser based password suggestions use the same options like the password generator? If so, I would also like to see this in Safari :+1:

Thanks
    smhex

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smhex:

Correct. I have added your feedback to the list as well :+1:

• smhex
    smhex
    Community Member

That's good to hear

Thank you