how to sync data from windows to mac?

Verbatim1
Verbatim1
Community Member
edited January 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have a membership account (trial). I downloaded 1PW 4 on my Windows PC in order to sync via WLAN with my iOS devices (iPhone / iPad)
sync via WLAN seems to work. my Macbook (new app, I suppose 1PW 7), I created already a standalone "primär" Vault, but I do not see how to sync via WLAN. You have the option to create a WLAN server to sync with the iOs devices (I know that also works, but I have to use the sync of my windows PC). I do not see any Sync-Service via WLAN like on the apps for iPhone und iPad to enter the created code of the 1 PW 4.
I know using a NAS (USB on my router) could be also an alternative, but I am not sure if this option will work as the router will surely ask for a password to get access to the stored data.
could you please tell me, if I also need to edit a standalone "primär" vault on 1PW 4 to keep the data local, not in your servers. If so, how to do that.
thank you in advance for your support.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to sync windows to mac via wlan

Comments

• @Verbatim1

Our WLAN server setup instructions are here. Only the Primary vault would sync via WLAN in your setup. The membership vaults would not use this method.

Notes from the setup page.

• The WLAN server can’t sync a mobile device to multiple computers.
    • The WLAN server can’t sync two or more computers.
    • The WLAN server can’t sync two or more mobile devices directly.
    • The WLAN server isn’t available in 1Password 6 or later on Windows.

I would recommend considering the option of moving all of your data in your account. There is zero configuration needed for an account.

• Verbatim1
    Verbatim1
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I would like to try the sync option local folder.
    Sync to a local folder (Windows) --> which 1PW version should be used in order to enable a sync to a local folder?
    As I understand, for a Mac you have also to enable the sync to the same local folder (USB - router). Which is the suitable 1PW version for the Mac?
    How to start a sync to the iOs mobile devices (iOs 14.3), how to proceed further. Normally I do not add new passwords every day. muss I use a Wlan server?
    I would appreciate if you could help me on this matter.

• tonytx05
    tonytx05
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

(Reply no longer needed)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Verbatim1:

You could use the latest version of 1Password 7 for both Windows and Mac (7.7 for Mac and 7.6.785 for Windows at the time of writing).

How to start a sync to the iOs mobile devices (iOs 14.3), how to proceed further. Normally I do not add new passwords every day. muss I use a Wlan server?

If you use folder sync on your desktop machines, and don't want to use your Membership to sync data automatically, then you need to use the WLAN server on your mobile device.

• Verbatim1
    Verbatim1
    Community Member

thank you ag_ana
    I am trying again 1Password.
    USB flash drive on my router is already activated, no password required.
    I set up the server on my desktop PC and macbook.
    1PW 7.6... was installed. As I understand you need to create a primary vault to keep the passwords on your home server and not on any external server.
    could you please tell me, how to create a primary vault. There is an option to create/open a new vault, but I do not see any primary vault.
    I would appreciate if you could help me on this matter.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Verbatim1:

1PW 7.6... was installed. As I understand you need to create a primary vault to keep the passwords on your home server and not on any external server.

Correct.

could you please tell me, how to create a primary vault. There is an option to create/open a new vault, but I do not see any primary vault.

Please open 1Password Preferences > Advanced tab, and enable the option named Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. You will be prompted to create a Primary vault ;)

• Verbatim1
    Verbatim1
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,
    I think this works on 1PW for the Macbook. I already created a primary vault on the Mac. I also activated the WLAN server.
    The iO's devices iPhone / iPad are also ready to communicate with the Mac.
    But I have some issues with the 1PW for the desktop PC (Windows). The only way is to install 1PW from the beginning using the option to sync with a local folder. I chose a folder on my home server with the ending .opvault but they ask for a password. I do not understand because my home server actually does not need a password. putting the password of my router was not the solution.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Verbatim1:

I chose a folder on my home server with the ending .opvault but they ask for a password. I do not understand because my home server actually does not need a password. putting the password of my router was not the solution.

You need to enter the password for the 1Password vault you are trying to open (the one you chose when you created this Primary vault and this opvault file) ;)

• Verbatim1
    Verbatim1
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,
    I tried first to put the primary vault of my macbook on my home server chossing the right folder.
    I have tested the sync with my iOs device's saving some data on the primary vault. it works fine. the sync runs automatically.
    to install the 1PW app on my desktop PC using a local server, you are right, I need to use the Master password. the app opens and I see a primary vault installed. after signing in, I saved another secure note. the communication with the home server works fine.
    I know the sync with my iOs devices works only via Wlan server on my macbook. I restarted the macbook and I saw the sync runs automatically.
    there is only a difference between my PC and my macbook. the desktop PC connects automatically with my home server, the mac on the other hand asks first for the password of my router and then for the master password when I start 1PW, but that's okay for me.
    It seems to work the way I wanted.
    thank you so much for your support.
    From now on, I think I can handle the rest on my own.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @Verbatim1! I am glad I could help, and thank you for the update :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.