open two instances at same time

Options
mgargan1
mgargan1
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Is there any way to open multiple instances of 1Password desktop for Windows 10, concurrently?

Some options I thought of was installing the 1Password website as a chrome app, but it lacks the full functionality

1Password Version: 7.6.787
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open two instances at same time

Comments

• Hi @mgargan1 👋

There isn't a way to open multiple instances of 1Password for Windows concurrently. In fact, with the way 1Password for Windows designed -- I'm not quite sure this would be possible even if we wanted it to be, if I'm being honest with you.

Can I ask why you'd want to have multiple instances of the desktop app running at one time?

• DrRZ
    DrRZ
    Community Member
    Options

I'd have no reason for multiple instances running, but it would definitely be useful to have multiple windows open at the same time. Possibly being able to pop-out an entry into a separate window with only the entry (and not the rest of the chrome), but even if you could right click on an entry and "open in new window", creating a duplicate window with focus on that entry.

This would really simplify some tasks such as when you need to access information stored in different entries or you want to compare different entries, without having to go back and forth or temporarily copy somewhere else.

• Hey @DrRZ, thanks so much for sharing your use-case! I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

While not exactly a direct solution, you can open up 1Password Mini from the notification tray while the main app is open - this would allow you to grab the username or password from a particular entry to paste it into another.

• DrRZ
    DrRZ
    Community Member
    Options

While I'm sure that can be useful in some cases, it's a very limited workaround. I'd love to see a real multi-window UI in the future. I switched from Lastpass, and that's one of the few things I miss. Please pass this on as a feature request if it hasn't already been noted. You could also combine it with a tabbed interface. Again, could be useful for having different tabs with different notes, vaults, search results. Then tabs could be pulled out into separate windows, like they can in a browser.

• @DrRZ

You can certainly consider this passed along to our development teams. I can definitely see how this could be helpful for scenarios like note-taking!

This discussion has been closed.