Feature Request: Character Counter

data_cat
data_cat
Community Member

This is for both iOS and Mac OS. It is separate from the post I made earlier today. There are two parts to the request.

1) The password generator should include the ability to set a max character length because many websites have that requirement. They shouldn’t, as any security conscious person knows, but many still do.

2) When creating OR editing a password, it should display the number of characters to help with both min and max length requirements.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @data_cat!

1) The password generator should include the ability to set a max character length because many websites have that requirement. They shouldn’t, as any security conscious person knows, but many still do.

This is already available in both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS when you generate a character-based password:

2) When creating OR editing a password, it should display the number of characters to help with both min and max length requirements.

At the moment you cannot see this information directly when you edit an existing password, but if you save it first, you will be able to see the number of character it has if you click on Show in Large Type next to the password in question.

• data_cat
    data_cat
    Community Member

I didn’t realize that was there during creation because I always use Memorable passwords, which does not have that feature in iOS. I haven’t checked Mac OS yet, but I think it’s the same.

I also just tried using Show in Large Type on a saved password in iOS and didn’t see the character count anywhere. Can you include a screenshot of where it appears?

• @data_cat

Large Type character counting is not available in iOS.

• data_cat
    data_cat
    Community Member

Regardless, I think the solution is to add character counting to the memorable password generator in both iOS and Mac OS.

• I would like to see it on iOS as well. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.