1Password always asks for master password

adinuno
adinuno
Community Member

Hi there,

I've recently installed 1Password on my Android phone and configured it with a Pin, but every time I'm filling a password in an app or a browser it prompts me for the Master Password.

I thought this is why the Pin feature existed, that I wouldn't need to write a long Master Password every time I need to use a password.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Please help me get the pin feature working properly

1Password Version: 7.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adinuno!

Certain system events will make 1Password require your Master Password even if you enabled a PIN. Has any of these events happened on your device recently?

• adinuno
    adinuno
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, none of the events listed have happened.

In fact this has been my experience:

1. Open Chrome
    2. Open a login page
    3. Tap on the 1Password dropdown
    4. Enter Master Password
    5. Login
    6. Leave website and close Chrome

After a while I repeat the process and the master password is asked for again. Shouldn't this keep asking me for the PIN and only request the Master Password when I open the 1Password app?

• Hi @adinuno. With PIN unlock enabled, you will be prompted for the PIN any time 1Password is open and running on the device. So if you launch the main 1Password app and unlock it, and leave it running without swiping it closed from your recent apps, or otherwise exiting, you should be prompted for the PIN.

If the main 1Password app is not running on the device and showing up in your list of open apps, you will need to enter the Master Password instead. Keep in mind that your device can sometimes close apps in the background to save system resources, so it may close without any action on your part.

I recommend enabling Fingerprint Unlock instead, as it will make the unlocking experience much easier, and you won't need to use your Master Password as often.

• adinuno
    adinuno
    Community Member

Hi @peri thank you for the information.

I just don't understand why pin unlocking doesn't work like Fingerprint Unlock where the user is asked less for the Master Password.

• Hey @adinuno, this is because Biometric Unlock is more secure than PIN Unlock. You can read about Biometric Unlock security here: https://support.1password.com/android-biometric-unlock-security/.

Keep in mind that neither unlocking method is a replacement for your Master Password, so be sure to remember it.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with :)

• adinuno
    adinuno
    Community Member

@ag_audrey Data might be safe in 1Password, but there are countless articles by cybersecurity experts about how Biometric Unlocking can be easily compromised. Apparently so as easily as the Pin Unlocking, so I just don't understand what is the basis to make the app less annoying if you lock with Biometric than locking with Pin.

• Hey @adinuno, 1Password only supports unlocking methods that are considered strong. We do not believe in compromising security for convenience.

Therefore, Biometric Unlock in 1Password uses authentication and decryption with the Android Keystore as opposed to Biometric Unlock in other apps that use simple authentication: https://support.1password.com/authentication-encryption/.

On the other hand, PIN Unlock works differently and does not use the Android Keystore. Hence, you will be asked for your Master Password more often when using PIN Unlock: https://support.1password.com/android-pin-code/#get-help.

This discussion has been closed.