I am trying set things up for my family but my own data is increasingly messed up

navigirl
navigirl
Community Member

New here today... I purchased the 1Password Family plan mostly to help my 90-yr-old-mother. My husband is interested too. But of course I wanted to use it myself for a week first to be able to coach them. I have worked in tech, though right now that's hard to believe.

We are Mac and Chromebook people who use multiple browsers. Anyway, right now I have in 1Password about 300+ passwords I exported from Chrome on my laptop plus a few others I added by hand when first starting. I can see these on my laptop. (And I hand-deleted all 300+ from the original Chrome list to avoid conflict) But I note that when I first started deleting there, Chrome showed an indicator that 1 Password was managing passwords. Now that indicator is gone. Chrome is not working with those passwords as it did, on the screen. Trying to fix things, somehow I ended up with two versions of the Extension installed. I deleted the older one. I don't know how to turn that synchronization back on. Meanwhile, on my iphone I only have a few passwords showing in 1password instead of that 300+ collection. The handful may have been the first ones I added before the big Chrome export/import. And the phone keeps offering a choice of keychain - which I think is a Mac thing - and 1Passwords, which opens up to only that little handful of passwords, including the 1Passord master password, which seems like it should not be on there! I am getting more and more confused as my family waits, and Safari questions will be up next from my mom. I feel so confused and desperate.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS 10.15.7
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• Please disable keychain on the phone. https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/ this should resolve the prompt for access to either of the two. Do you see a Primary vault on your devices? It sounds like you may have different setups on each device.
    Also, double-check your installed version of the 1Password extension. Our Companion App Extension works with the 1Password (app). If you have had multiple extensions installed and then removed one, the communication between the two may have been interrupted.

Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

You may first need to completely quit your browser and 1Password for communication to work properly.

1. Quit your browser.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

I quit chrome and the 1password that is on the top, clock level bar of icons. When I reopened both, there was still no integration between them. Chrome still does not display that indicator that 1password is in control of autofill. I do have the emergency kit and my needed passwords are in my personal non-family vault as expected.

Is there are way to print them all out just in case and then dis-install everything? I'm grasping at straws. What can I do to make things usable?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@navigirl:

I quit chrome and the 1password that is on the top, clock level bar of icons. When I reopened both, there was still no integration between them.

What do you see if you try to use the 1Password Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut when you are on a website with a login form? Do you see anything pop up?

Chrome still does not display that indicator that 1password is in control of autofill.

If you could post a screenshot of where you are looking for this indicator, it would also be useful so we can confirm where you are looking :+1:

• navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

• navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

OK, command control backslash does bring up the mini window that i need. But chrome keeps trying to get me to save the pwd info in that system and does not show 1password as in control anymore, as you can see.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@navigirl:

Have you actually installed the 1Password browser extension? I don't see it in your Chrome menu bar, I wonder if it's just hidden from view or if you have not installed it yet. If it's not there, it would explain why nothing appears when you use the 1Password browser extension shortcut.

You can install the 1Password X browser extension from here.

• navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

Yes. It is installed. Thanks!

I wanted to make it visible, but it is hidden in the extensions menu - under that gray puzzle piece icon. (That is another annoyance. If anybody knows how to get it up onto the bar even with the navigation window, that would be a nice touch.)

What will happen if it is already installed and I install it again?

Let me go over the situation again.

• The Icon on the very top for the 1Password app that is installed on my Mac shows at the very top of my computer window.
    • Then, in chrome, I can find the other 1Password icon in the list of extensions under the puzzle piece on the bar even with the navigation window of the browser. (Is that the 1Password X, the chrome extension one, and the main app not called X? The naming is a bit opaque to me)
    • When I first set this up, chrome offered a way to click into password windows just as it always had but to bring up 1Password instead of its internal offerings. And there was a message in the chrome pwd manager page that said 1Password controls this now. But that is missing now. For a while last month I kept doing the welcome sequence repeatedly in different browsers and devices - maybe that was my error in thinking that would be harmless to repeat. I don't have notes on just what I did.
    • I am able to use control command backslash to pull up the little window.
    • My passwords were all exported out of chrome into 1Password and deleted elsewhere. I really need this to work.
    • Plus I am paying for a family version now and supposed to help family members set up properly. Yikes!

What else do you need to know to solve this riddle?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@navigirl:

I wanted to make it visible, but it is hidden in the extensions menu - under that gray puzzle piece icon. (That is another annoyance. If anybody knows how to get it up onto the bar even with the navigation window, that would be a nice touch.)

You can find the instructions to make sure the extension buttons shows in Chrome here:

If you don’t see the 1Password icon in your browser - Chrome

What will happen if it is already installed and I install it again?

You might just be asked to login to your account again once. Please give that a try and let us know how it goes. You can install the 1Password X browser extension from here.

• navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

Still not getting things working quite right. (I just had to copy and paste a password, oddly!) I just don't get it. What can I look for?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@navigirl

Can you walk me through the steps you are taking? Might I ask, do you have a website saved within your 1Password entry? If not, 1Password will be unable to make a suggestion which would result in you needing to copy and paste.

• navigirl
    navigirl
    Community Member

I've been trying things for several weeks now. I wish I had approached it as if I was doing QA for new software and recorded e everthing, but I thought this would be pretty bullet-proof. And I have been busy and scattered.

I am correctly set up with a family and a private vault. I can use my 1password to open it up. But I have to paste passwords in now.

When I started to set things up, I got Chrome to offer a prompt within the password fields (as it used to for chrome-stored passwords)
    I exported over 100 chrome-stored passwords with their websites and imported them successfully into 1Password. Chrome was displaying that now 1Password was handling passwords.

But somehow I must have messed things up. I re-installed something maybe? I added 1Password to a phone and to a chromebook.
    Now Chrome does not show 1Password as in charge. See the screenshot above.
    Right now, to prevent Chrome from taking over again, I have
    Offer to save passwords OFF
    Auto Sign-in OFF
    (Is that an issue? How should those be set to get things fixed?)
    (Thanks for one small improvement suggested above - instructions on pinning the 1Password icon onto the Chrome toolbar next to the URL address window. But if I get a 1password icon prompt in the password fields where I expect it that will not matter much.)

In my applications folder in finder I see
    1Password 7.app (Version 7.7)
    1Password-4.7.5.90.xpi
    1Password-7.7.pkg (which I believe I can delete, no?)
    (I have not yet upgraded to Big Sur yet -- if that's an issue. I am daily deleting things from my harddrive to recover room for that upgrade)

• @navigirl

This is how my copy of the Chrome extension looks. Following that is how Autofill is set up within the Chrome browser settings. That's correct you can remove the .pkg file. You also can remove the .xpi file as the extension is saved within your browser.

This discussion has been closed.