Is there a way to search the 1Password Trash?

Options
dmittman
dmittman
Community Member

Perhaps my use case for the Trash is odd, or better handled in another way, but I put items that are no longer needed in the Trash, like old Software Licenses or logins for systems that have been decommissioned. I never empty the Trash, because on occasion I need to refer to information in those old items. I wouldn't be terribly sad if the Trash got emptied and I lost them, and they'd generally clutter up my "real" items. My problem is that I haven't found a way to search the Trash.

I could "trash" the way I'm working now and use an "Obsolete" flag instead, but I thought I'd check to see if I'm just not seeing the "search Trash" feature.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmittman!

I could "trash" the way I'm working now and use an "Obsolete" flag instead, but I thought I'd check to see if I'm just not seeing the "search Trash" feature.

I am not aware of a way to search for items in the trash, but I can suggest how I personally setup things, maybe it will work for you too: have you considered creating a separate "Archive" vault for these items? You can then search within this vault, and the items would not be in your main vault anymore (because even if you added an "obsolete" tag, all of these items would still be in one place).

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member
    Options

Oh! That may work even better! Thanks!

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm working my way through this idea of using an "Archive" vault and wanted to share the first observation. So far, it seems to be working. However, it doesn't seem possible to drag an item from the trash of one vault to another vault. It looks like it works — I mean that the drop zone activates visually, but the item isn't actually transferred. Instead, I have to first move the item out of the trash, then I can either drag-n-drop it on the Archive vault or use the "Move to Vault" menu item.

Oh, funny bug! If I restore an item from the trash in my Primary vault, it stays restored. However, when I move that restored item to my Archive vault using "Move to Vault, it not only is moved to the vault (which is expected), it also reappears in the Trash in the Primary vault (which is not expected). So, for my process (restore, move) every item will reappear in the trash in its original place. I'll have to compare the contents of the Archive against my Primary Trash to know when I'm done before I empty the trash in my primary vault.

• @dmittman

Yes, it's impossible to move items from the trash to a different vault. They must first be restored from the trashed state.

Items cannot be moved directly between vaults due to different encryption between them. When one item is moved from one vault to another, it's a copy, and then trash the old version from the original vault just as you experienced.

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• You're welcome.

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member
    Options

Just to close out this topic: I found that moving items one at a time was going to be too time-consuming and error-prone. I discovered and used the Export feature for the first time to export the items from my Primary vault Trash, then used the Import feature to import them into my Archive vault. They came in as Trash, so I restored them from the Trash and removed the tag that the import procedure had added to the items, and now I have all 243 items that had been in my Primary trash, safely stored in my Archive in case I need them. After verifying some of the items, I emptied the Trash in my Primary vault, and now all is done.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @dmittman! It's great that you shared the process with the community, I am sure others will find your experience useful :)

This discussion has been closed.