1Password 7.6.796 Beta is now available for Windows

Hi folks,

I hope you are enjoying 2021 so far!

We have another update for you to play with; it is a small bug fix update but for some, there should be some performance gains to be had with larger vaults.

Here's the detailed changelogs:

7.6.796 released on 04/09/2021

[Improved] Updated our 1Password brain library for improved filling and saving with the 1Password extensions. {OPW-!2455}
[FIXED] Fixed an issue where an item with a missing non-required field would not upload and 1Password would get stuck in a loop trying to upload it. {OPW-4985}
[FIXED] Fixed a crash from our customers’ crash report submissions. Thank you for submitting them! {OPW-4981}

7.6.794 released on 03/15/2021

[FIXED] Addressed an issue where 1Password does not proceed further after it caught an error with downloading a document. {OPW-4962}
[FIXED] Fixed a crash from our customers’ crash report submissions. Thank you for submitting them! {OPW-4981}

7.6.793 released on 02/22/2021

[IMPROVED] 1Password is now quicker to load data and uses less memory.
[FIXED] When saving a new Login item via 1Password browser extension, 1Password mini incorrectly disabled vaults that didn't have the import permission but it isn't required for this scenario. {OPW-4960}
[FIXED] When tabbing between fields in the item editor and then alt-tabbing to another app and back, the focus was returned to the search field instead of the editor's last focused field. {OPW-4963}
[FIXED] Closing 1Password while editing or creating a new item sometime results into an item with no title shown, which was fixed by locking and unlocking the app. {OPW-4964}
[FIXED] 1Password attempted to update offline changes made in the specific vaults that then had its permissions revoked prior to the internet being restored. {OPW-4958}
[FIXED] 1Password didn't skip migrating Document items in the read-only vaults. {OPW-4958}
[FIXED] When using a hardware key to authenticate the multi-factor authentication (MFA) dialog in 1Password, which is not supported, 1Password would internally stop syncing due to the hardware key sending an invalid MFA code but it didn't inform the user of this. {OPW-4971}

7.6.791 released on 01/21/2021

[FIXED] Do not include standalone vaults when checking for Document Items to be migrated. {OPW-4952}

7.6.790 released on 01/19/2021:

[IMPROVED] Updated our 1Password brain library for improved filling and saving with the 1Password extensions. {OPW-4926}
[IMPROVED] Our QR code (2FA) scanner is now more responsive and works on more complex multi-monitor setups that would sometimes lead to an out of memory error. {OPW-4923}
[IMPROVED] Initial sync performance has been improved for large 1Password accounts. {OPW-!2396, OPW-!2401}
[IMPROVED] Reduced memory consumption when uploading large files. {OPW-4937}
[IMPROVED] Updated to the latest authentication APIs for the 1Password service. {OPW-4932, OPW-!2390}
[IMPROVED] 1Password will automatically migrate the metadata version (version 1) of Document items to version 2 when it detects older versions. {OPW-!2393}
[IMPROVED] Updated our diagnostics report to include the latest vault version metadata to troubleshoot sync issues. {OPW-4927}
[FIXED] 1Password would show "Subscribed" instead of "Trial" in the Accounts menu when the account was in trial mode. {OPW-4929}
[FIXED] Selecting an item that was not a Login item in 1Password mini didn't always open the item's details in the main 1Password window. {OPW-4924}
[FIXED] 1Password would show expiring items as expired at the beginning of the month instead of the end of the month. {OPW-4928}
[FIXED] Clarified a confusing message when disabling folder sync for a standalone vault. {OPW-4912}

Comments

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Oh it's time for a new release :fearful:
    At the first glimpse, everything works as great and snappy as in the last months it already did!

(only the mysterious could not focus browser window for active session error is still here, but doesn't harm just like before)

• @lumarel, I'm glad to hear that, thanks as always for quickly testing it.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

You're welcome @MikeT ! :chuffed:
    It's too early to call it testing, but I don't really think that I will find some new issues.
    This application has come a long way and doesn't really give much (new, not already documented) room for reporting ^^

• @lumarel Thanks so much for the kind words! Every extra set of eyes on the beta versions helps us to get things polished up and ready for full release - thanks again for your help! :chuffed:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Thanks for the new beta! I'm looking forward to testing it out. :)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

As always it's a pleasure @Dayton_ag :chuffed:
    After some more hours I found the polishing! Compared to the latest stable release the new beta is noticeably faster on performance bottlenecked devices :+1: (the device is a Ultrabook with quite a load of load during work, often limited by the maximum CPU load)
    (and no issues up to now)

• @lumarel Awesome! We're happy to hear that.

• We've shipped another small bug-fix update just now, I've updated the original post with the changelog for it.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks for the update! Just installed it and it looks good so far. :+1:

• Glad to hear it, thanks again.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Congrats to the next release :chuffed:
    Btw I don't really see any performance improvements (even on the performance bottlenecked device), and actually a little bit more memory usage (around 5MB) from the last version to this one ^^
    This could also totally be just randomness

• MikeT
    edited February 2021

@lumarel, thanks again as usual.

This one is more specific to showing data faster in the UI by reducing some of the workload prior to loading. This means it is usually noticeable at initial unlock, such as filling in after unlocking with 1Password mini or doing a search for another example. In certain cases, we saw a 7x speedup but not everyone will see this as it does depend on how many items you have.

As for memory consumption, it should be more noticeable when you have a lot of custom icons. It should also drop more quicker than usual when you're not doing anything in the UI and the app cleans up after itself, which means it will be random when you test it. So, it should average out to be lower than before.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Ah okay, thank you for your explanation @MikeT !

I might just be used to the quite high performance (beside the initial unlock sequence, which is since I started the discussion about the unlock performance 7+ seconds long, on every device, which I kind of stopped noticing), that I don't have too many slow cases anymore. :chuffed:

Hm okay then my ~50 custom icons might just be too little, to even notice.
    Beside the "is it lower now?" part, I'm really pleased to see that 1Password is definitely one of the programs which make the most out of the little memory footprint it has! In times, where a lot of applications use Electron, it's really refreshing to see that somebody cares about the memory footprint :)

• @lumarel

Seeing as this specific fix was targeted for folks who did have large amount of items -- it sounds like you might not have enough items to notice any discernable difference. No worries, though! We'll take that as a win anyways! 😊

We really do care about making sure our memory footprint is only as big as it needs to be. For everything that 1Password does (load all of your items, decrypt them, sync them in the background, manage search and filling, etc) and we still manage to come in a fairly small footprint, it's certainly something we're proud of. Thanks for the kind words! 💙

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Looks like so, but yeah, good to hear @Blake :chuffed:

It kind of has really grown to a showcase project ^^
    You're always welcome!

• 💙

• We've shipped another minor bug fix update just now, the original post has been updated with the changelog.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks again for the new update @MikeT ! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Hi folks,

We just shipped another minor bug fix update today, updated the original post but included a copy here:

[Improved] Updated our 1Password brain library for improved filling and saving with the 1Password extensions. {OPW-!2455}
    [FIXED] Fixed an issue where an item with a missing non-required field would not upload and 1Password would get stuck in a loop trying to upload it. {OPW-4985}

I know it's been quiet lately here, we just can't say much yet. :)

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Between many, many "minor bug fix updates", numerous hints from 1Password staff strewn all over these forums, the ongoing partial rewrite of (at least part of) the 1Password backend to Rust, the impending 1.0 version of 1Password, and the massive increase in staff, I suspect (and hope!) 1Password has some big announcements in the pipeline for 2021. I do wonder what they might be (and if I'm even right)... :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

We just shipped another minor bug fix update today

The new beta works fine for me. Thanks @MikeT and Team! :+1:

I suspect (and hope!) 1Password has some big announcements in the pipeline for 2021.

Oh, yes. I'm also looking for such an announcement. Hopefully it comes in 2021 and maybe it is v8? ;)

• He he he, I have no comments on that matter.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

:lol: ;)

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

I also didn't have any issues with the new beta, everything as good as before :chuffed:

And, haha also looking forward to new features, more performance, on the suspecting side :lol:
    (I saw the automation notes though, great new features there!)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

One question @MikeT :
    Is there also a new beta pendant for the stable release of 7.6.797? Yesterday this version was released and there is one point which seems not to be fixed in the latest beta version 7.6.796-BETA.

Addressed an issue where 1Password did not proceed further after it caught an error with downloading a document. {OPW-4962}

Yes, I could switch to the stable channel to get version 7.6.797, but I have to switch back to beta channel to get the newest versions then. :sweat:

• Hey there @DenalB - if you'd like, you can switch off Beta builds, which will tell 1Password to upgrade to the latest stable build. After the app updates and restarts, pop open Settings and re-enable Beta builds - 1Password will continue to use the most-recent stable version until a newer Beta version becomes available, at which time it should prompt you to update as normal. :smile:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

That worked. I thought that the app will go back to the latest beta build which is 7.6.796-BETA when switching from stable into beta channel after updating to the latest stable release, but it didn't. :+1:

Thanks @Dayton_ag ! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Dayton, you are welcome :+1:

• Hi guys,

@DenalB:

Yesterday this version was released and there is one point which seems not to be fixed in the latest beta version 7.6.796-BETA.

This is the fix from 794-BETA, the stable build changelog is adding all of the beta changes since the last stable update.

In almost all the times, the latest stable build is exactly the same as the current beta. We just rename the 796-Beta to 796-stable.

I am checking with our team to see why 797-BETA wasn't pushed. It should be on both channels at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.