Need to enter Master Password multiple times after Restart until Toggling Off/On Face ID

buyanet
buyanet
Community Member

So this has actually been an "issue" for quite a long time but I never got around to posting about it. Basically if my iPhone is restarted (iPhone XR), every time I try to auto-fill a login on a website afterwards, I have to manually type in my Master Password.

Expected behavior would be to type it in manually after a restart once to fill, but after that, Face ID (or Touch ID for other phones) would work thereafter; however, the Master Password has to be manually entered every time until I open the 1 Password App, go to Settings --> Security, and toggle off and then back on the Face ID toggle. After that, I can start using Face ID to auto-fill passwords.

Is this a known issue, or is this on purpose?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @buyanet!

Basically if my iPhone is restarted (iPhone XR), every time I try to auto-fill a login on a website afterwards, I have to manually type in my Master Password.

Is this happening in the main 1Password for iOS app, or directly in the Autofill extension? I ask because if you make sure to enter your Master Password in the main 1Password app at least once, subsequent unlocks will behave as you are requesting, and will use Face ID instead.

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member

Good Morning @ag_ana

I do believe it's only when I try in the autofill extension -- I'll have to put in my Master Password and subsequently on all other websites too until I open the main 1P app and toggle that setting.

With that said -- I'll have to report back later when I actually pay attention to see if I have to toggle the Face ID off/on in the main 1P app, or if simply putting my Master Password in the main app works. I know for a fact in previous versions of the app I had to toggle Face ID and have gotten so used to doing just that, that it's a habit now to toggle it. I'll see if I can get it to reset like that with a hard reboot and try without toggling.

Regardless though, is it designed to ask for a Master Password in the extension every time until I open the main 1P app? After a Software update or reboot, I don't think of opening the main app and doing all that every time.

Thanks for your reply!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@buyanet:

Regardless though, is it designed to ask for a Master Password in the extension every time until I open the main 1P app?

Yes, this is expected behavior: it's the main app that handles the decryption and biometrics, so you need to unlock it at least once with your Master Password. Afterwards, it will prompt your for Face ID by default, both in the app and in the autofill extension :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@buyanet, @ag_ana:

so you need to unlock it at least once with your Master Password

I just tried because I was a little confused that after a restart of my iPhone I have to open and unlock the 1Password app once with the Master Password to get the Face-ID prompt when auto-filling.

After restarting my device and try to auto-fill logins in an app without opening the 1Password app once and unlock it with the Master Password I have 2 options in the auto-fill screen:
    1. Use the Master Password.
    2. Push the button to use Face-ID.

So, I'm able to use Face-ID without logging into the 1Password app once with the Master Password.

Also, when opening the 1Password app after restarting my device I have these 2 options. When logging in is done Face-ID is working for the app and auto-fill as default option without switching off and on in settings.

But I have to say that the setting "Require Master Password" in advanced settings is set to "Never" in my case.

• @DenalB

In order to get it to prompt for Face ID automatically, instead of requesting the Master Password with the Quick Unlock button below, you'd need to launch and unlock the 1Password app. Then within autofill you should get Face ID automatically.

Hope that helps :)

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@Ben

you'd need to launch and unlock the 1Password app

I don't know if I misunderstood, but the screen above is shot after restarting my iPhone without launching 1Password app and try to auto-fill.

• Indeed. :) That screen is requesting the Master Password with the option for Quick Unlock via the button below the Master Password field. If you want it to instead automatically go directly to Face ID, without requesting the Master Password, you'd have to open and unlock the 1Password app.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Hey @Ben,

Yes. That's completely right! This I pointed out already. ;)

When logging in is done Face-ID is working for the app and auto-fill as default option without switching off and on in settings.

I think the problem @buyanet has is that although he was logged into the 1Password app he doesn't get Face-ID to become the default option.
    But maybe the problem is solved already?

• Maybe. :) They can certainly chime in if they need additional help. :+1:

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

:+1:

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member

I haven’t been able to duplicate my issue even with a restart. Next time my phone updates or something I’ll pay special attention to see if I have to toggle the Face ID off and back on or not.

What Ana said about its designed that I would need to open the main app first makes sense.

Thank you everyone!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks for coming back telling us that the problem is solved now @buyanet. :+1:

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member

Not sure about “solved” per say, but definitely better understood :). I have just noticed that after a restart, I am able to go straight to opening Safari, going to a website, and using my Face ID to fill in passwords; however when then opening the 1PW app, I have to put in my Master Password

I noticed after doing it once, I did not have to toggle the Face ID setting for it not to ask me again so it was just something that I had gotten used to for over a year that I never bothered to check if my “issue” was fixed — seems it was.

Now comes another question though — how come after a phone reboot, I can use the auto-fill using Face ID right away without having to open the main App as Ana had said?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

how come after a phone reboot, I can use the auto-fill using Face ID right away without having to open the main App as Ana had said?

That's how it works on my side as you can see on the screenshot above... :/

• There are a number of factors at play here. The settings I usually recommend for an optimal (in my judgement) experience are:

1Password > Settings > Security

• Lock on Exit - Off
    • Auto-Lock - 15 Minutes (or whatever timeout selection available you feel is appropriate)
    • Face ID / Touch ID - On

1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security

• Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill - On
      (this one may sound counter-intuitive, but it turns over the unlock process to 1Password instead of autofill, which is required for the 'Lock on Exit' setting to affect autofill)

• Require Master Password - Never
      There have been some changes to the default setting here over time, and so if this option isn't working as expected for you, you may need to set it to another value and then set it back to never

That would be the best I could suggest in terms of having this work more consistently. :)

Ben

• I am experiencing a similar issue to the original poster;
    The autofill acts like it is separate to the main app. I can open the app using FaceID, however whenever I attempt to use autofill I have to enter my master key, with it almost always not accepting it. Is there something I am missing in setup?

I have configured as outlined by Ben above, without any success. I have also reinstalled the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Caprica_Six:

I can open the app using FaceID, however whenever I attempt to use autofill I have to enter my master key, with it almost always not accepting it.

Do you see the Face ID icon in the autofill extension, or do you not see at all below the Master Password field?

• I do not see the FaceID icon at all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Caprica_Six:

Thank you for the confirmation. If the main app has been unlocked with Face ID, autofill should behave the same way. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Thank you ag_ana, I have submitted ticket [#VHI-18167-688]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Caprica_Six:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: VHI-18167-688

This discussion has been closed.