Strange password suggestion which entries I can't find in the vault.

DenalB
DenalB
Community Member
edited January 2021 in iOS

I just have a very strange behavior in my iOS app which I can not explain. Some weeks ago I created 2 password entries in 1Password for Windows. I doubled both and moved 2 of them into another vault.

Then I decided to convert the first 2 password entries into login entries. After that I deleted the second 2 password entries from the other vault and finally I deleted this vault, too.

Now I have 2 login entries in my primary vault with the correct URL (https://www.comdirect.de) especially for the desired iOS app I want to use them with (https://apps.apple.com/de/app/comdirect/id1275446664). But when trying to log in to the app there are 2 password entries shown which doesn't exist anymore, and I don't know how to get rid of them.

You can see the creation date of these 2 password entries. There seems to be something wrong...

When selecting "1Password..." from the suggestion screen, 1Password app is opening and the 2 existing password entries appear.

When selecting the correct entry the iOS app is opening and everything is fine.

I tried to delete the 1Password app from my iPhone. When trying to log in to the iOS app there are no more passwords suggested. So I thought that also the suggested passwords were deleted... But after installing the 1Password iOS app and logging in to it again both password entries are suggested again. So it must have something to do with the 1Password iOS app I think.

Do you have an idea what could be wrong and where those password suggestions are coming from and how to get rid of them?

There are no deleted password entries in the trash folder of my vault and I don't have pure password entries only. Also the former deleted vault is still deleted. I don't know what could be the problem... :(

Any help?

1Password Version: iOS App v7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS v14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@DenalB

Try Refreshing the iOS auto-fill.

Open 1Password and navigate to Settings > Password AutoFill. A bar should pop up across the top of the screen (briefly) indicating that AutoFill Passwords is updating. After that completes and the bar disappears please try again.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Hi @ag_tommy!

After that completes and the bar disappears please try again.

I tried on 2 iPhones where this behavior appears. But updating didn't work. Suggestions still are there... :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

Out of curiosity, do you see the same behavior after you reboot your phone?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Yes. After rebooting both devices the behavior is still there. 🤔

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

Are you able to reproduce this issue again, with other items? If you manage to replicate this, can you please share the steps with us, so we can try to reproduce this too?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Actually I don't have other entries or apps which have the same behavior... I only can imagine that it could have something to do with the former password entries which I switched into login entries. :/

I'll try to create a new password entry and look if I get the same behavior.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @DenalB, thank you! If you find some hints, definitely let us know and we will be happy to test the procedure too :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I will do so @ag_ana. :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I just created a new password entry for the app and logged into this app successfully with this password entry.

After that I switched the password entry to a login entry and logged into the app successfully, too.

Then I deleted this entry. Now I have 3 password suggestions when trying to log in to the app. 🤔

The strange thing is that the new third entry in the suggestion is called „Comdirect“. But I didn‘t have or actually have a login called „Comdirect“. The test entry I created some minutes ago was called „Comdirect Test“. And the two existing entries are called „Comdirect Banking“ and „Comdirect photoTAN“.

Where these suggestions are coming from? I tried the second app I‘m using from Comdirect Bank and there are no suggestions from 1Password.

And when removing the 1Password app the suggestions are gone but come back when installing the 1Password app again.

Any ideas where the suggestions from 1Password are saved?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Ha, I got a little success. I just refreshed iOS auto-fill in 1Password and the third suggestion is gone.

But there are still the none existing entries in that list.

I think it must have something to do with auto-fill function from 1Password. But how to delete these suggestions completely. 🤔

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

Where these suggestions are coming from? I tried the second app I‘m using from Comdirect Bank and there are no suggestions from 1Password.

If you open the iOS Settings app > Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords, is 1Password the only entry enabled in the list?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

is 1Password the only entry enabled in the list?

Yes, it is.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @DenalB. I have sent a link to this discussion to the rest of the team to see if anyone has any suggestions :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana. :+1:

It is no dealbreaker for me, but it is annoying that there are password suggestions which seem to be not available in 1Password anymore. It would be great if there is a possibility to delete these old entries completely from this suggestion list. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DenalB:

Normally, refreshing the autofill cache is enough to update the list (and in fact, this method worked in your second test). Now I am also curious to understand how these items were created ;)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_ana:

Indeed, it seems a little tricky and I hope that anyone from your team has an idea...

• @DenalB

Do you have all of your vaults selected within 1Password? 1Password > Settings > Vaults > All Vaults? Perhaps you have one vault that's not shown when searching, and the item resides there?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

Do you have all of your vaults selected within 1Password? 1Password > Settings > Vaults > All Vaults?

Indeed, I only used 1 vault and disabled the others. But after switching to All Vaults and refreshing auto-fill nothing changed. Still there are these 2 entries. :(

Nice try! Thanks. ;)

• @DenalB

Can you try the following? I realize you already tried some of these steps.

1. Open 1Password and switch to viewing All Vaults.
    2. Open 1Password and navigate to Settings > Password AutoFill. Disable and then enable AutoFill.
    3. Navigate to another section within 1Password. View your vaults for example.
    4. Refresh the Auto-Fill cache once more. Open 1Password and navigate to Settings > Password AutoFill. A bar should pop up across the top of the screen (briefly), indicating that AutoFill Passwords is updating.
  • DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

1. Open 1Password and switch to viewing All Vaults.

Done.

1. Open 1Password and navigate to Settings > Password AutoFill. Disable and then enable AutoFill.

I'm not able to disable or enable auto-fill there. I only have the possibility to disable or enable to copy TOTPs when auto-filling. But I disabled copying of TOTPs there and enabled it again.

1. Navigate to another section within 1Password. View your vaults for example.

Check.

1. Refresh the Auto-Fill cache once more.

Did it.

Between step 2 and 3 I disabled password auto-fill in iOS settings and enabled it again.

But I have to say that the problem is not solved. :(

• @DenalB

Let's move on to AutoFill directly within iOS.

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill passwords > AutoFill Passwords - Disable and enable the setting.

Once you enable the settings, uncheck the iCloud keychain, and make sure to select 1Password for filling. 1Password should prompt you to allow Auto-Copy of 1Password TOTP. Enable the feature (If it's unchecked) and tap done. Do you continue to experience the same behavior?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

That's what I did between your given steps 2 and 3. The problem still exists...

• @DenalB

To be clear, you went to the Settings App within iOS and tried the above steps? Including disabling/enabling auto-fill? This is not within the 1Password application until the end of the steps. The first part originates within the Settings app.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

To be clear, you went to the Settings App within iOS and tried the above steps? Including disabling/enabling auto-fill?

Yes. The steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 you gave I did in 1Password and between step 2 and 3 I disabled and enabled auto-fill completely in iOS settings.

Also, I tried login to the app when auto-fill was completely disabled. No suggestions were made. After enabling auto-fill in iOS, disabling iCloud Keychain and enabling 1Password only the suggestions are there again.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

Thanks for confirming. We may need to a deeper dive into your devices logs. Can you create a diagnostic report for your device?

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. DenalB
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/118259/strange-password-suggestion-which-entries-i-cant-find-in-the-vault#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I just send the email to your team.

This is my support ID:
    [#QYS-68229-266]

Thanks! :+1:

• Found it.

ref: QYS-68229-266

• DenalB
    DenalB