Share single passwords

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sklompextern: You're very welcome! And we'd love to get your company's feedback on the feature as well. Please feel free to reach out to business@1password.com any time. :)

• Vatslav
    Vatslav
    Community Member

Hello
    @brenty is it available only in web? I turned on beta in the administrative settings of the team, turned on beta in the settings of the desktop application. I do not see any control to sharing single password from a desktop application or browser extension.

• Vatslav
    Vatslav
    Community Member

the irony of life. The 1Password application does not allow sharing 1 password

• :+1:

Ben

• clgood
    clgood
    Community Member

I hope this is the right thread. Situation: I'm a 1Password user, and a friend is also. We are not in each other's "families" or "teams". My friend would like to send me a password securely. Is there a way using the 1Password web site to do that? Or must I add my friend to my "family" and restrict them to a special vault just for the exchange?

• Hi @clgood

This thread is specifically about our Business and Teams offerings, but that's okay. The answer applies regardless and is the latter: one of you would need to invite the other to be a part of their membership. We do not currently offer any sort of secure sharing across memberships. While that would absolutely be a very neat feature, it also provides significant technical challenge to implement based on the way we've architected 1Password. A guest account within 1Password Families is likely the way to go:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

(this functionality also exists in Business and Teams memberships: Share with guests in your team)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• clgood
    clgood
    Community Member

Sorry for landing off topic. I got to this post while searching under families. Thanks for the link! A guest sounds like exactly what I need.

• No worries. Sometimes the search feature here is not quite as well tuned as one might like. :) Hope it all works out with using a guest account inside one of the memberships. :+1:

Ben

• nparekh
    nparekh
    Community Member

I just want to throw a +1 for individual item sharing - this would especially be useful for individuals/families sharing to other 1Password users outside of their immediate group.

I noticed some improvement with the “share link” feature in iOS today, but as far as I can tell it doesn’t solve the problem of having to create and share vaults.

• Thanks for the feedback @nparekh :)

Ben

• N_C
    N_C
    Community Member

I cannot believe this is still considered a beta feature 3 years on!
    When is this feature being released to the non-beta product?

• Hi @N_C

I don't have any news I can share; sorry. As a rule we don't pre-announce that sort of thing. I understand it is frustrating to want to use a feature and to have it appear to be 'stuck' in beta. I wish I had a more definitive answer I could provide, but I don't know and couldn't say when or even if this will be a non-beta feature.

Ben

• vasile
    vasile
    Community Member

this would be great, to have a share option for a single item in the list, that allows you, at least, to send that credential to another users's private 1password account to be added, and once your's is updated, to resend the updates to that other user's account. Whilst you have a clear overview of single items shared, in the portal but also directly in the shared items view, saying something like shared with, and showing all users.

• Thanks @vasile. This feature is in beta and is available to 1Password Business customers for testing. If you're interested I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com.

Ben

• vasile
    vasile
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben , will look into it, maybe give it a shot while still in beta.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• precisionroy
    precisionroy
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, I'm having a hard time finding documentation on sharing a link to a password. I just spent 10 min searching online and found articles on sharing, but they all are about sharing through vaults.

Is there any documentation on copying a link to an entry and sharing it? Specifically, I'd like to know if the link and access to the entry persists after it's visited or expires after use. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@precisionroy:

Can you please see this article and see if it helps?

Use item links to help others find shared items

• precisionroy
    precisionroy
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks! So item links only work when you're sending the link to someone who is a member of the vault the linked item is in?

In other words, an item link won't share a password with someone who is not a member of the vault the item is in?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@precisionroy:

That's correct :+1:

• alterego
    alterego
    Community Member

Earlier in this thread @brenty said:

b. Share an item on a one-time basis, by using the Share option in the item's details on 1Password.com, which places a copy of it in the target user's Personal/Private vault (can be done only with a 1Password Teams/Business account which has this beta feature enabled).

Which implies that person I'm sharing with doesn't have to be member of the vault the item is in. Instead the item is copied to private vault. Now @ag_ana says it's not possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alterego:

The other user asked something different ;)

In other words, an item link won't share a password with someone who is not a member of the vault the item is in?

If you share an item link, you need to be able to access that vault and that item. The other procedure you are referring to makes 1Password copy an item to a user's Private vault instead (effectively making a copy of it).

• alterego
    alterego
    Community Member

Thanks for quick reply. So how do I pass on secure note/login to my team member using 1Passsword? Keeping these credentials in sync would be great, but I would settle for simple copy at this moment. I tried sharing secure note using "Copy link" feature, but when my team member tried to open it he got a message that item was not found.

• The recommended solution would be to create a vault in which you'd grant access to both yourself and the other individual. Then you'd move said item into that vault. That way you would both have access to it and any changes made to items inside would be visible to both of you.

Create and share vaults

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Am I overseeing something or is there this easy solution to the missing feature mentioned through out this thread:
    if someone wants to share a password with one or just a few other people, let them do it. and the system creates automatically and transparent for the user the vault, which will be displayed for the user as a shared password with other users and not in a vault.. you would have two kind of vaults. on one hand the visible vaults which can be managed as before. on the other hand you would have these invisible vaults, which are just for the security reason technically vaults, but for the user not recognizable as vaults..

• the initial request is over three years ago!!!

• Hi @zND4q8BEr7bgjAgf! Welcome to the Support Community.

While I don't have anything new to share at this time, our main recommendation for sharing items (even if it's just a few items or even a single item) is still the same as what Ben recommended in his last reply: creating a vault, sharing that vault with any members of the account who need access, and moving the items that need to be shared into it. :+1:

I do appreciate you passing along this feedback and sharing some ideas on how an item sharing feature could be implemented! I'll be sure to pass this along to the proper team for further consideration. Let us know if we can assist you with anything else! :smile:

• zND4q8BEr7bgjAgf
    edited January 2021

thanks for your reply. i don't need any further help. thanks for that, too. i'm just curious whether you plan to roll out the "send a copy" function to the main version?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zND4q8BEr7bgjAgf:

You might find this post about the feature useful (it comes directly from one of our developers) :+1:

• geneticren
    geneticren
    Community Member

Heya folks - trying out 1Password for Teams (or possibly Business), and just wanted to echo what others have said here. Sharing a password with an individual team member (and having it be the actual item, which will update for both members if either of them update it) should literally be as easy as a couple of clicks, and access within a Vault should be easily modifiable per-user.

The "Create a new vault and move the thing to it" feels a lot like we're being told "This is how we feel sharing should be done, and if you don't do it this way, you're doing it wrong." My opinion about putting a source of truth in one and only one Vault is the same as why IMAP folders fail and Gmail tags win - a thing could be Development, and Double Secret Development (No Contractors Allowed), and Accounting related. Which folder do I put it in? I don't want my accountant to see all my Development keys, and I don't want my devs seeing all the financial accounts. So now I have to make a separate vault that's "Project X What Devs and Accountants Can See," and that seems weird, and like it's going to lead to serious Vault clutter and make finding things difficult without going to All Vaults and searching every time I want a thing.

At least, this is how I'm reading the beta "Share a Copy" works - that you're literally sharing a copy, not the actual thing, so changes won't be reflected. If I am misreading that's how it works, I apologize.

At any rate, please consider this a +1 for more fine-grained access within Vaults. :)

This discussion has been closed.