auto fill option for android phones

vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member

I have turned on auto fill option on Android device. But still in a few apps it does not show 1password to auto-fill. What am I missing?
When an app is loaded I have to fill the password manually.

1Password Version: 7.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.3.7
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Hey @vishalsheth, can you go to your 1Password app > Settings > Autofill and make sure you also have Accessibility turned on?

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

When both are turned on still I'm not getting it. Accessibility turned on or off doesn't make any difference. It functions in the same way in either cases. There are other options like (1) autofill previews and (2) auto-copy one-time passwords, what do they do?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@vishalsheth

I am not familiar with auto-fill preview. I am an iOS user, but I found this topic that may help. Auto-copy of one-time passwords allows 1Password to copy TOTP passcodes stored within 1Password for use when you log in to a site.

Our blog post about time-based one-time passwords may help answer any questions you have.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

Yea on iOS those options are not there. It’s just just a single option. What I’ve explained is not an issue on iOS. It works smoothly. But for the same app on android it’s not working. Are there people who use android so they can evaluate the same and help?

• Hi @vishalsheth.

Let me clarify a bit how Autofill works on Android. In Android 8.0, Google added native support for its Autofill framework, which is supported by the OS, but also needs to be supported by apps and password managers. So this means that Autofill will fill in many apps and in some browsers (like Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and Opera Touch), but not in all apps or browsers.

We developed the accessibility service to pick up the slack where Autofill isn't supported or working. So if you enable both Autofill and Accessibility, you'll be able to fill in more places than with just Autofill alone. That said, there are still some cases where neither Autofill or Accessibility can fill. In some cases, apps actively block filing, and in some cases, we're not able to detect login fields.

So if you're noticing that filling isn't working in an app or apps in particular, it may just be that it isn't supported in that app, and in that case, we'd ask you to let us know what app you're having trouble with so we can share it with our development team. In other cases, you can use drag and drop to fill, and in others, Accessibility will do the trick.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

@peri

Thanks for the great explanation. The app I’m referring to right now is HDFC bank app. FYI the same app on iOS allows auto fill option without any issue.

• Thanks @vishalsheth. Autofill on Android and Password Autofill on iOS are completely separate from one another, developed for their respective platforms, and don't work the same way. So you may encounter cases like this where something fills on iOS but not Android, or vice versa.

I've tested filling in the HDFC app and I do indeed see the problem. I'll go ahead and report this to our developers. In the meantime, I'd recommend using drag and drop to fill into this app.

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#955

• kram5819
    kram5819
    Community Member

this sounds similar to my issue that I posted

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We will continue investigating in the other discussion you posted @kram5819 :+1:

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

@peri there are other apps too. How to use drag and drop on android?
    @ag_ana where’s the other thread link? Please share.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

In the other thread the situation is different. From what I understand probably was the issue with data imported which was solved. I had added in 1Password itself. It’s yet not happening.

• @vishalsheth I believe you are correct. Having gone through the other thread, it appears that the circumstances are indeed different for each of these. As for your question about drag and drop on Android, you first need to go into multi-window or split-screen mode. The exact steps for this can vary depending on which version of Android you're using, whether you're on a phone or a tablet, and who manufactures your phone. For example, in recent versions of Android on Pixel phones, you can do this by navigating to the recent apps carousel (swipe and hold from the bottom of your screen), then tapping on the app icon above the app preview, and then choosing "split screen".

Once you're in split-screen mode with the destination app in one pane and 1Password in the other, you can drag username and password values from the details screen for the corresponding Login item into the username and password fields of the other app. In an ideal world, this would always work. Unfortunately, as with Autofill, there are things that app developers can do that get in the way of drag-and-drop working as it should. If you aren't able to drag-and-drop from 1Password into the destination app, then copy-and-paste would be the next fallback option.

You mentioned that there are other apps too. @peri has already filed an issue for the HDFC app. If you wouldn't mind sharing the names of the other apps, we can raise similar issues for them as well.

This discussion has been closed.