PIN field in the credit card template

Options
gengakusha
gengakusha
Community Member

I've been using the credit card template to add credit and debit card items to my vault and recording the PIN in the "additional details" section but recently noticed some inconsistency in the display. All card PINs are 4 digit so by their very nature insecure but I've noticed that in some items (the majority) the PIN is flagged as "Terrible" in the same way that a password would be

and in others it is not (there is nothing displayed where that warning would be).

I wonder if the difference is due to a change in version 7 as all the items created with earlier versions of 1Password have the warning and those created after don't have it.

Is there any way I can get rid of the warning for all PINs?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @gengakusha

I wonder if the difference is due to a change in version 7 as all the items created with earlier versions of 1Password have the warning and those created after don't have it.

In the 1Password release notes for 1Password 7.0... Password strength is no longer displayed for passwords that are found to be PIN codes. (six characters or less in length, made up of all digits).

Is there any way I can get rid of the warning for all PINs?

No. It's not possible to exclude items. I would be happy to pass your feedback to the developers. You mentioned using a previous version. Editing the entry and saving may help resolve any pin warnings.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    I must admit I hadn't seen that point in the release notes.
    However, the way it is written suggests that all new PIN codes would not have the strength displayed and that does not seem to be the case.

Editing the entry does not have any effect.

Creating a new field of the type "password" in an existing Credit Card item, giving it the label "PIN" and populating it with a 4 digit number, also results in the password strength being displayed.

Making a copy of an existing item does not remove the strength display either.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

I have passed your feedback to our developers :+1: I know they are discussing some possible ways to handle PIN fields, so I am sure your thoughts will be useful to them.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#536

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

I just wanted to give you a quick update: I have heard back from the team, and this will be addressed in a future version ;) We don't have any details or timelines to share yet, but I thought you might like to know :)

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    Thank you. That is good to know.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.