Unlocking in browsers

I use multiple browsers, like Edge, Chrome, and Firefox...often at the same time. I have the windows 1Password program and the browser extensions for each browser. Why is that I have to enter my password to unlock the windows app, then when I open each browser, I have to enter the password there too??? I just switched from RoboForm where I never had to do that.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RAbel1! Welcome to the forum!

I see that you are using the 1Password X browser extension, which runs entirely in the browser with no connection to the 1Password desktop app. Because of this, every 1Password X installation is independent in each of your browsers.

If you would like to unlock only once, you can use the companion browser extension instead: with this extension, unlocking the app also unlocks every browser, and viceversa.

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

That's perfect! I will give it a shot!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @RAbel1! Let us know how it goes :)

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

Works great! Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what you guys can do to make that more clear. I downloaded the browser extensions that the app linked to. Perhaps if you made the app link to the companion extensions instead of the regular extensions, it would help? Idk...just throwing an idea at yall. Anyway, thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@RAbel1:

In the future we probably will have a single exception, and our developers are already working on tighter integration with the desktop app even in 1Password X. So hopefully in the future this will improve automatically :)

• RAbel1
    RAbel1
    Community Member

I'm trying to install on a different computer. I went to the link that you shared, but it looks different now. I don't see the companion extensions. Did y'all do away with them?

• @RAbel1

The 1Password Desktop Companion App Extension is now known as 1Password Classic. You can download them all from the link below!

Get the 1Password classic extension

• capraq
    capraq
    Community Member

Hi. I use multiple web browsers on pc. I just switched to 1Password after many years with a now discontinued pswdmgr. Having to open 1Password on pc and in each individual browser, so open 4 times, is not going to work for me. This thread seemed like my answer but I'm still confused why I have to uninstall current extensions and install (older) extensions in each browser? I would really appreciate knowing now, before I get too invested in 1Password, is this single login functionality deprecated or going away?

• Hi @capraq

1Password Classic is the more mature offering that was designed to work with our desktop apps. We intend to being desktop integration to the newer extension, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. For now, if you want integration with the desktop app, which would allow for unified unlocking, 1Password Classic is the answer. As Ana mentioned above it is likely that we'll eventually get to a point where we have a single extension that does it all, but that will take time. :)

Ben

• capraq
    capraq
    Community Member

Hello Ben/Ana/All
    Initially I thought this thread was saying that I can unlock the desktop app and then my passwords will be automatically inserted when I browse to a password field in any browser. I am using 1Password for Windows, #7.6.791. Is this the correct version?

Following instructions at /cs/1password-classic-extension/ page, I uninstalled my addons and extensions from my different browsers, then I re-installed them from this page. After the reinstall, I actually restarted my pc then opened 1Password app on my pc. However, even though version #4.7.5.90 extension is there, now the 1Password button does not appear on any of of my browsers. Is the button supposed to be there or is the intention that I should open the desktop app, find the password I need and then copy and paste it into the web form?

And, I feel like I'm still miss-understanding something because now it appears that Ben is saying this functionality does not yet work?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @capraq!

Is the button supposed to be there or is the intention that I should open the desktop app, find the password I need and then copy and paste it into the web form?

The button should be there, and you can use it from the browser. Here are screenshots from Vivaldi, Firefox and Microsoft Edge with the classic extension installed.

Maybe it is hidden in your browsers? But when it's there, and you click on the button Password Mini should open. And if you are not logged in already in the Desktop app, the login prompt appears in the browser.

• capraq
    capraq
    Community Member

Hello DenalB
    The previous 1Password extensions added clear, bright, logo buttons inside the password field of any page where I needed to enter passwords. As your screenshots show, the "Classic" extensions add very small and dim buttons in my browser address bars with the exception of Brave browser. On Brave I discovered I had to click the Extensions button on the address bar (not in Settings), then select 1Password and allow it to pin to the address bar.

Thank you for your screenshots. Without them I may have eventfully found the new buttons myself, but I would have assumed their dimness meant something was wrong. Besides being very small and dim, this new 1Password button looks like more like the exclamation point of a generic "information button" than the "key hole" logo of the previous extensions buttons. Now when I browse to a page with a password field and click the new button, I'm presented with a drop down box where I can select the appropriate account. Along with the confusing, unattractive buttons the new functionality adds at least one more step from the previous experience, but it works.

I appreciate your help and others on the thread.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @capraq!

The previous 1Password extensions added clear, bright, logo buttons inside the password field of any page where I needed to enter passwords.

That's right. This is the behavior of the 1Password extension (formerly known as 1Password X). But with this extension you have to log in to every browser, and you are not able to unlock them with the desktop app.

Besides being very small and dim, this new 1Password button looks like more like the exclamation point of a generic "information button" than the "key hole" logo of the previous extensions buttons. Now when I browse to a page with a password field and click the new button, I'm presented with a drop down box where I can select the appropriate account.

This is the default behavior of the classic extension since years. ;)

I appreciate your help and others on the thread.

I'm glad that I could help. :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@capraq:

On Brave I discovered I had to click the Extensions button on the address bar (not in Settings), then select 1Password and allow it to pin to the address bar.

This is a recent change in every Chrome-based browser: since recently, new extensions are hidden by default by the browsers, and they indeed have to be manually pinned if you want them shown. I am not sure exactly when this started, but it's only been a few weeks or months, it catches many people by surprise in my experience.

This discussion has been closed.