Sync'ing multiple vaults

Options
gengakusha
gengakusha
Community Member

I am using 1Password 7 standalone with multiple vaults and have discovered that the sync functionality doesn't seem to be working as I expected.

In the "Sync" tab of preferences I have a local folder set up to keep a copy of the vault. I've just noticed that although the Primary vault is being sync'ed with 1Password.opvault not all of the vaults seem to be kept up to date. All indicate a time in the "Last synced" field which is the same for each vault but the modified date of the file does not change for at least one of the vaults. I added a login to one of them a couple of days ago which correctly displays in 1Password as having been created on 18 Jan 2021 but the .opvault file matching the vault name has a modified date of 6 February 2020.

This particular vault is shared with another user who does not see the new item.

Most of the vaults are not shared, they are just a convenient way to separate home, work and club/society information. All of the other .opvault files are up to date but there have been no changes to those vaults since I migrated to my current Mac about 12 months ago.

Can someone please advise on how best to identify the problem.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: local folder

Comments

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Update:
    To narrow down the cause I have just copied all the .opvault files onto another machine (the old one which already had older versions of all the vaults) and opened 1Password. As I expected, all the newly created items in my primary vault were visible but not the new items in the vault mentioned in the problem vault mentioned in my first post.

That means the items are correctly being saved in the specified non-primary vault but for some reason that vault is not being saved to the specified folder.

• @gengakusha

Local folder syncing in 1Password can be complex and depend on many factors, including your network and software configuration. We’re unable to provide support for issues you might encounter with local folder syncing because we can’t troubleshoot your network or third-party sync solutions.

Have you given though to moving to a 1Password membership?

Folder syncing

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy
    Thank you for your reply but I don't think you have understood my post. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "sync" in the subject but this is not a problem with the sync'ing method as such, it is a problem with 1Password not updating the file specified in 1Password Preferences. Although the goal is sync'ing there is no third party software involved at that stage since this is a 1Password setting and there is certainly no network as I clearly stated this is set to a local folder.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Although I don't understand the cause of the problem I have managed to fix it (at least temporarily).

After ensuring I had a good backup, I deleted the .opvault file which was not being updated. When I opened the 1Password Preference pane - Sync tab the setting for this vault had automatically changed from "Also sync problemVault vault with Folder" to "Also sync problemVault vault with None". Settings for all the other vaults remained unchanged.

In Preferences I changed the setting back to sync with Folder, browsed to the same folder as before and selected it. After prompting it created a new .opvault file.

After waiting a couple of minutes I created a new item in that vault. On clicking the Save button the file modified time as displayed in Finder immediately updated. I waited a minute and moved the test item to the Trash. Again the modified time in Finder changed.

So for the time being at least, the file seems to be being updated as expected.

If 1Password cannot update the file for whatever reason, should it not be displaying a warning? The "Last synced" time displayed in Preferences is not a reliable indicator as it seems to show the time a sync task was run, not whether anything had changed or if the save was successful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted already :+1:

If 1Password cannot update the file for whatever reason, should it not be displaying a warning?

As my colleague Tommy mentioned, folder sync can be a complex method, so it's difficult to say exactly what might have happened without looking at some logs, or your computer configuration. I personally also agree that I think it was a sync problem, since your data was correctly stored in the vault, but was not synced to the folder properly for this specific vault.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    I agree that a complete sync process using third party tools can be a complex thing to troubleshoot and it's logical for it to be beyond the scope of your support.

However, my point about it not being about sync was merely that the problem was functionality provided from within 1Password to save the contents of vaults to a container (in this case to a local folder on my boot volume) rather than an external process. This particular vault is only sync'd one way so writes to the container and the files within it on the source machine (which is where I was seeing the problem) are only done by 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Ah I see what you mean now, got it :+1:

This discussion has been closed.