Sorry, but I cannot figure out how the Use Suggested Password window works.

Options

I see the following (attached). overlay when I visit a new site where I need to create a password or visit a site where I want to update an existing password. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how this supposed to work.

1. I click "use Suggested Password" then nothing happens, password isn't saved anywhere so I cannot save it or use it next time anywhere.
  2. If I click "Save in 1Password" it is not saved and not filled in either.

I don't know what else to do here...

How can I easily generate a new password for a new login which is then filled in, saved to clipboard and saved to 1Password as a new login to the site I am on.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: OS 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:use suggested password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SandorF!

I click "use Suggested Password" then nothing happens, password isn't saved anywhere so I cannot save it or use it next time anywhere.

When you click on this, 1Password should popup and prompt you to save this generated password. If this is not happening, perhaps there is an issue with the specific website. Can you please share the full URL with us so we can test it too?

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,
    I wanted to record my screen to show you how this works and the popup indeed prompted 1Password to save the generated password. I will continue monitoring it on other sites and password renewals and send a screen cast if it doesn't behave as it is supposed to. Thanks, Sandor

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @SandorF, thank you for the update :)

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi Ana,
    Please watch this video. I hope it helps.
    https://www.loom.com/share/8ccefd4ce884477aa623f00c1cf9b26c

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Please watch this other video as well: https://www.loom.com/share/2616a90fdc7d4d77a4347cbcad763f22

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SandorF:

You can use the method that you prefer, both will give you the same result: if you click on the Save button, 1Password will show you the popup that allows you to save the password item right away. If you click on the generated password instead, it will fill the password in the form for you, and 1Password will show you the popup to save the item only once you click on the login/register button. At the end the result is the same: 1Password will save a login item with this password for you, with no need to use the clipboard ;)

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ana for your response. It is good to know. Although, from a usability point of view, it would be better if it didn't left the user confused. Why have two options to accomplish the very same thing...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SandorF:

The Save button is useful for example on those websites where username and password are split over two different pages. In this case, 1Password would probably only capture the password field, but with the save button you could also capture the email address by clicking on the Save button on the first page, proceeding to the password page, entering the suggested password, and updating the login item :)

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying. I am sorry but it is still very confusing and not user friendly at all. Yesterday, I run into a site where I selected the generated password and when I clicked on Use the password it disappeared right away. I had no idea whether it was saved or not.

I am being critical as up until now I loved 1Password and thought it is perfect. However the 1Password X isn't perfectly thought through. It is just bad user experience. :'(

I wish my feedback was escalated and investigated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SandorF:

Certainly, we really appreciate the feedback! We will definitely keep it in mind as we continue working on 1Password X :)

Yesterday, I run into a site where I selected the generated password and when I clicked on Use the password it disappeared right away.

What website was this, so we can test it?

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hey @SandorF. I just tried filling a suggested password on that site, and I received the prompt to save a login as expected. Are you still seeing the same behavior on that site?

• SandorF
    SandorF
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_michaelc I received the prompt and once I clicked on it, the password disappeared. I am not sure if this is the expected functionality

• Just to make sure we're on the same page, when we are talking about prompt, I meant this:

This is what you should see on your screen after you click a suggested password from the inline menu. Are you seeing this?

• jgoldstein
    jgoldstein
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem with some websites (https://www.myimpactportal.com being one of them), where I had to perform a password reset. I used "Use suggested password" which populated both 'new password' fields, but didn't prompt me to save them to 1Password. I then hit the 'save new password' button on the webpage, which managed to save my new password to my account on the website, but never updated the entry in 1Password. Unfortunately, I had to then reset my password (again), because 1Password did a good job of creating a complex password that I couldn't remember on my own. If you don't know how the website is going to treat the situation, you only find out after the fact when you save the new password to the website whether 1Password is going to prompt you to save it or not. To address this, a button is needed that not only allows you to use the suggested password, but also to save it to 1Password in the process. Right now, Saving and Use Suggested Password are two separate and distinct options, creating the situation I expressed above.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021
    Options

@jgoldstein:

Thank you for the suggestion! I know our developers have been discussing ways to improve the process, so I have sent them your feedback in the meantime :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#272

• jgoldstein
    jgoldstein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome :)

• duffles
    duffles
    Community Member
    Options

I've had 1 Password for about 3 years and instead of it becoming easier to use it gets more and more confusing

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there something we can do to help @duffles?

This discussion has been closed.