Edit Smart Folder does not reveal the search query settings -- just seeing a black field

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited January 2021 in Mac

Hi, I have a number of smart folders. Occasionally I need to tweak the query configuration for the smart folder. Typically I would right click the smart folder name, select "edit smart folder" and the save search query configuration would reveal itself. Tried this tonight, and instead the right click opened the smart folder only to reveal a giant empty expanse. See attached pic. Scrolling up or down in the large black area does nothing.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: 10.15.7 (19H114)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix!

I checked some test smart folders in my 1Password for Mac app, and I was able to view their information if I edited them. The only difference I see is that I am currently running macOS 11.1 instead of 10.15.7 like you, so I wonder if this could be a factor.

In the meantime, can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior now?

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I did a full system reboot, the large black expanse persists. Out of curiosity, I checked the behavior after turning off dark mode and saw the same issue. Instead of black expanse, it's a large white expanse. Because I can't actually see the query construction, I can't remember exactly how many criteria are included in the Smart Folder. It's probably around 20 different elements. Perhaps you can suggest a better mousetrap for me. The purpose of the Smart Folder is to find items that do not have a certain kind of tag. Example. I have the following tags:

category/auto, category/cloudservice, category/condo, ..... category/transportation (around a total of 20+ category tags)

My category Smart Folder construction looks like this. I note that when I create a Smart Folder from new, I am able to see the criteria construction area to configure a SF afresh. Basically, if I've maintained 1PW correctly adding a category tag to all items, there should be zero items in this Smart Folder view. I don't see an obvious way to simplify the criteria construction since the Smart Folder does not have a "does not begin with" option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Superfandominatrix:

Can you please try creating a new, super basic, smart folder? Something like this, for example:

Let's see if this has anything to do with the complexity of the query, or if it's something else.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes, I already created a new Smart Folder for the image included in my prior post. Starting from scratch the right panel displays correctly. That said, I didn't SAVE the query I made for the above post. Today when I tried to save a simple smart filter, 1Password crashed. Attempted saving the same query a second time also resulted in a crash. Completely closed 1Password / 1PW mini, restarted 1PW, tried saving a 3rd time, crash.

This is the query I've used that created the crash behavior. This query is the exact opposite of what I hope to achieve with the Smart Folder. Ideally I'd have a query that "did not contain" the tag category. Up til the point of saving the Smart Folder returned the expected results. I have 416 items in my vault and I'm missing category tags in on 8 items.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Superfandominatrix:

Today when I tried to save a simple smart filter, 1Password crashed.

This is unfortunately a bug that our developers are aware of, and that I was able to reproduce :( We have not been able to address this yet, but I will let them know that you are also experiencing this. Hopefully they will have a fix for this soon.

ref: dev/apple/issues#4886

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. So the original problem remains, of not being able to see previously defined criteria in a Smart Folder for editing. In a Smart Folder, I use the following settings and criteria:

Search: All Items
    The following are true: All
    Tag : is not : auto
    .... (repeat 20 times for 20 category tags)
    Tag : is not : transportation

Vault size, 416 items, <190 MB

Let me know if you want any other info~

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

One other thought occurred to me, I can try to pin down where the problem is based on the other Smart Folders I have. If a Smart Folders has 14 criterion, I am able to edit and see the configuration details. A different Smart Folder with 20 criterion, the configuration details are not visible with editing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

@Superfandominatrix:

I have managed to reproduce this! It does look like this only happens when there are many search filters. I will open an internal issue so that the developers can look at this :)

ref: dev/apple/issues#5229

This discussion has been closed.