Can't log in after password change

I changed my MP through the Chrome extension a couple weeks ago. Now, my 1P for Windows will not accept the new password. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but that didn't help. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1..23.2
OS Version: Win 10x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

I found an old thread that discussed this issue. I was lucky enough to remember my old password, which was able to open 1P/Windows. However, I did not receive any notice or authentication warning to update anything. After closing 1P/Windows, it would not open with the new password, but only with the old one.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimmyweg,

If you change the Master Password for your 1Password account, you will need to finish that change in 1Password 7 for Windows. There is a note about it on our website:

If you’re using 1Password for Windows, you’ll need to finish changing your password in the app. Open and unlock 1Password using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

If you didn't see that red authentication banner, it is quite strange, but I am glad to hear that you managed to finish changing your Master Password now.

I am sorry for this inconvenience. We are looking at ways to improve this experience in our future updates.

If you have other questions, feel free to raise them. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

No, I did not get the MP changed in 1P Windows. Only in the Chrome extension and my android. The Windows app only opens with the old password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimmyweg,

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

If you changed the Master Password for your 1Password account, but do not see the authentication banner in 1Password 7 for Windows, when you sign in with your old Master Password, please do the following:

1) Sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser (with your new Master Password) and make sure that you have all of your data there.

2) Start over with 1Password 7 for Windows.

3) Set it up from scratch to work with your 1Password account.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks, Greg, that worked. While I love 1P, I must say that say that MP and secret key changes are poorly designed. In fact, 1P reps have posted replies indicating that changes were being considered, and that was over a year ago. iOS is even worse. Changing and syncing PW among platforms and devices shouldn't be this difficult, nor should a re-design of this function take this long. So, while I've tried almost every password manager and found 1P the best in terms of overall function, usability, and support, the PW changing issues warrant a resolution once and for all.

• Thanks for sharing your feedback @jimmyweg

I definitely understand your sentiment regarding the process surrounding changing your Master Password, there's certainly a bit of song-and-dance when it comes to changing your Master Password currently.

As Greg mentioned, we are looking at ways to improve this experience in our future updates -- so keep your eyes peeled and rest assured that your voice is being heard. 😊

This discussion has been closed.