Lost login when upating from 1Password 6 to 7.7 (upgrade bug?)

texplex
texplex
Community Member

I upgraded from version 6 to 7.7 subscription yesterday, but did not migrate any data to the account. All is still local on my Mac. Standalone, no sync.

I subscribe to a newspaper and log in every day. Today I logged in as usual (via Mini) but noticed I had no subscription. So I discovered I had been logged in with an old account to that newspaper, using an older alternative email address as account name.

I searched my vault but the newer account with subscription was simply not there!

My old account (that I had forgotten) was there.

In that old account record in 1Password was noted:
CONFLICT
account-type

The two accounts had the same website URL:s in 1Password, but different email addresses.

I managed to reset my new account and could access my suscription. I entered a new record for it in 1password

I have used 1Password since at least 2013 and I think there is some kind of bug in the conversion process from 6 to 7.7.

I notice that "Date created" for 1Password7 Application on my disk is noted as 16 Nov 2020 for some reason but "Date added" = "Yesterday". And by the way, that newspaper login record was created later in November 2020.

There is also a file in the Application folder created and added Yesterday: 1Password.app.zip

1Password Version: 6 (latest) to 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @texplex

You mentioned Date created for the app was Nov 16 2020. 1Password 7.7 was released in Nov 16th 2020. Date added likely references yesterday as that may be when you added it to your system.

Conflict is possibly at some point in the past you made an update to an entry and 1Password was unable to determine what was the most up to date copy. It likely saved both instead.

There is also a file in the Application folder created and added Yesterday: 1Password.app.zip

This is a copy of the previous version of 1Password that you were using. We zip it up so as not to cause problems with your newer version.

• texplex
    texplex
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Thanks, I would be happy if both records were saved and I could choose between them. But there is no CONFLICT headline in left column in 7.7. Maybe there was in vers. 6, don't know.

I used search function in 7.7. Also glanced through 700+ logins. But the newer record is not to be found. To me it seems like a bug actually, that not both records turn up in 7.7. I mean I used that record to log in yesterday, before upgrade, so it was in there. But after upgrade only the old one is there. I think you should look into potential loss of conflict records at upgrade. Or do you have a suggestion how I could actually find the other entry? (I mean there is not a burning problem, i was able to reset the password. But maybe there will be other problem entries that will turn up later)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@texplex:

Just out of curiosity, have you perhaps checked the Trash in the 1Password app, to make sure this item has not just been inadvertently deleted?

• texplex
    texplex
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I have absolutely checked the trash in every way I can.
    I have now discovered a couple of more things that happened when the vault was converted from 1pw ver 6 to 7.7.
    Some quite recently created logins have simply disappeared. Not completely fresh, but logins I have used many times after creation. Last couple of months maybe. Gone!

• texplex
    texplex
    Community Member

And by the way, now I stumbled into another login that has disappeared. Also quite recently created but used several times since then. This is not imagination, it is gone. I notice a lot of "conversion comments" in many of the items in the vault so apparently a lot is going on when converting/updating the vault between versions.

• texplex
    texplex
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Ok, now I have found something that I believe is relevant:

When I sort items in my converted vault according to Date Modified or Date created, there are no entries after Sep 28, 2020 and before conversion Jan 25, 2021. Although I have created new logins or modified things in that time-period (including the newspaper login that started this thread). These are lost.

Now I look into Preferences:Backup. It says "Backups are created automatically". But the last backup before conversion is dated Sep 29, 2020. Then nothing until Jan 25, 2021, at conversion. I have no idea why no backups are to be found in between. I have done nothing as far as I know to turn it off, if even possible.

So is the conversion based on the latest old backup from vers 6? And why were no changes after Sep 29, 2020 backed up, I wonder? I mean I have created and used several new logins (and other things like Notes, probably changed info for some credit card, which may eventually be apparent ...).

• texplex
    texplex
    Community Member

When I list entries in the converted vault there are no entries between Sep 28, 2020 and Jan 25, 2021 (= conversion time). Although I have created and used several logins and other information in that time-period. The first one in this thread was apparently such a one and I have found a couple more. I will definitely find others …

Now I look into Preferences: Backup: “Backups are created automatically”. The last backup before conversion was on Sep 29, 2020. And then a new one at time of conversion, Jan 25, 2021.

So is conversion based on the latest backup in that list? And what could explain that no backups were made, although I created new entries, updated Notes and information, a new software license key that is not there now, probably one credit card? I have not done anything as I know of, and according to text backup procedure should be automatic. One would think that a conversion would involve forcing a new backup of the old vault the moment before conversion also ...

Do you have any explanation?

• @texplex

It may be best to contact us using support@1password.com, where the team can help gather details on your setup and or device logs as/if needed, which we can't do here for your privacy, as this is an open forum/community. Once you contact us, you'll receive a Support ID by auto-reply. Please post that Support ID back here.

This discussion has been closed.