How can I share a password individually with a team member without openning a new vault?

Options
volkan
volkan
Community Member

Hi all, as our team grows bigger, it becomes a hassle to open a temporary vault for a single password item to share with 1 team member. Is there a workaround or a planned feature?

My use case:
open a VPN account for a team member, share the credentials with him/her

Would be nice to send/move a password item directly to their personal vault

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @volkan! Welcome to our Support Community. :smile:

While this is tucked away a bit, we do have feature that 1Password team and business accounts can enable for sending copies of an item to a team member's Private vault. This can be enabled by an owner or administrator by signing in on 1Password.com, clicking on Settings in the sidebar, and enabling Item sharing under the Beta tab.

Once this is enabled, team members will now see a new Send a copy... option when clicking the Share icon for items on 1Password.com, and this will display a list of the members within your team that can receive an item. For example, guests wouldn't be listed here, but other normal team members would be.

Let me know how this works for you! I'll be here to help if you have any other questions as well. :+1:

• amer_mahmud
    amer_mahmud
    Community Member
    Options

I was just looking for something like this today! However, why is it in beta right now? What potential issues are still being ironed out?

• Hi @amer_mahmud,

The "Send a Copy" feature has been in beta for a few years now. It's perfectly safe to use, but it's an incomplete feature as is and we don't plan on taking it out of beta until we can build a more complete version of it. When I say that it's incomplete, what I mean is that in order to send an item you need to go to the web. And receiving of a sent item works automatically in almost all of our apps but not quite all of them (the big notable exception is 1Password for Windows).

We use the feature ourselves all the time. It works, but it's not up to our standards from a usability perspective (for example if my boss sends me something, wouldn't it be nice if I knew they sent me something instead of it just appearing in my vault?). We want to invest more time into it and turn it into a proper feature that we can be truly proud of before we take it out of beta. There have been a handful of reasons for why we haven't been able to do that work, but those have been steadily worked on.

Rick

• amer_mahmud
    amer_mahmud
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, thank you for the info, Rick!

• On behalf of Rick, you're welcome.

• paulpharr
    paulpharr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion -

RE:
    And receiving of a sent item works automatically in almost all of our apps but not quite all of them (the big notable exception is 1Password for Windows).

Can you elaborate on what's different on the Windows app? Does it just take longer? Or is a manual refresh necessary? Or something else?

Thanks!

Paul

• Can you elaborate on what's different on the Windows app?

The Windows app won't do it automatically at all (for now). The user would need to sign in to the webapp, or use another app that supports detecting that there's a sent item pending and knows how to move it into a vault.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.