How do I use the password generator in new & existing accounts?

rgevans871
rgevans871
Community Member

The Password Generator function seems to have changed. In the past when I used password generator to create a new password in an existing account or new account, I would get a message window asking if I wanted to either create new or update existing. My recent experience with creating a new password in an existing account was that I didn't get the window described in the previous sentence, but instead had the opportunity to click on 'Save & Copy' which I did. The password was automatically placed in duplicate in the appropriate spaces at the account page. I then had to copy the new password on a new document in 'Pages' from which I then manually typed the password to replace the existing one while doing an 'Edit' of the 1Password Login page. 1Password would not let me directly copy the password to the 'Edit' login page. The next experience I had was trying to create a new account where I first created a User ID and was then asked to create a password. I used the Password Generator to create the new password and it was installed at the account page, but again I didn't get the window asking if I wanted to create new as I used to, instead after clicking on 'Save & Copy', the password is saved in 1Password as the account website mymidmichigan.midmichigan.net. When searching in 1Password for Mid Michigan, the website shows up with a 'Key' symbol preceding it, rather than a 'My' symbol. The difference being that when clicking on the 'Key' symbol website, I get a Password, but no User ID, but when I click on 'Go' it does automatically take me to the account login site and fills in the appropriate User ID. The problem with this is that when I might have multiple login's for this same website by using the 'Key' symbol type of login I can't tell whose account I'm going to login to because the 1Password login page only shows the password and not the User ID.

I know you're continually making changes to work with the latest operating systems, but for those of us that haven't kept up with all the operating system updates, this may be creating problems in using 1Password as effectively as we would like. I have a data maximum on my satellite internet and the Mac software updates depletes a significant part of my monthly allotment so I've not updated as much as I would like. I hope you can give me some suggestions on how I can use the Password Generator a little more effectively than what I've described above. I can still use it, but it certainly is not working as conveniently as it used to.

I can't find the 1Password Extension Version. I went to the the 'How to find extension version' , but I couldn't find the Chrome menu on my toolbar as described in your instructions.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How do I use the password generator in new & existing accounts?

Comments

• @rgevans871

Here is how to find the Chrome extension version.

On the right hand side click the 3 dots beside your user picture, click More Tools, click Extensions. Locate the 1Password Extension and click details.

Do you have the browser password manager disabled? Sometimes it can interfere with saving.

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member

My Chrome Toolbar on my MacBook Air doesn't have the 3 dots or my user picture, but I did find the Extension Version number when I clicked on Window in the tool bar and also found a check mark that the built in password manager was turned off. My Extension Version is 4.7.5.90.

• Great! You're using our classic (companion app) extension.

Does this set of instructions help? How to change a website password.

This discussion has been closed.