Do I set up a vault for each family member?

Options
acleveland
acleveland
Community Member

Good afternoon.

I think I understand that a vault can be set up for each family member. The member can access only their vault on mobile devices, etc., whereas I can access as the family administrator. Is that correct?

One more question: do my family members need to log on to 1Password with the password phrase? I am trying to set this up for my mother-in-law and keep it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE!

Any suggestions or advice would be helpful!

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Do I see up a vault for each family member?

Comments

• @acleveland

Each member has a Private/Personal vault that is only accessible to them. Only they can access it. It sounds like you want to create an additional vault that you can share with her and help maintain her data and so on. If so, you can create an additional vault and grant her access. Any items placed in this vault the both of you can edit, change, and use as necessary.

Create and share a vault.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@acleveland, two more aspects of the additional vault creation (which I use myself) mentioned above by @ag_tommy:

1. As FO (Family Organizer), you can remove/add yourself as necessary to your MIL's additional vault. Normally I am removed from access to my family members' additional vaults for their privacy as well as to preserve my blamelessness for any malfunctions—I only grant myself access when "invited" to observe/fix a problem they're experiencing, and

2. You'll need to change the vault selected for saving/display in various configuration screens from the Private one set by default by 1Password to the additional one you created for your MIL. As your MIL gains experience with 1Password, she may choose at some point to make use of the Private vault to secure personal access info she prefers to keep to herself. I make sure to let my charges know that I'm only available to fix things in their additional vault—they're on their own and solely responsible for the contents of their Private vault.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@williakz

Sound comments. Thank you for sharing. I had forgotten about #1. I did the same thing for my eldest son's account. I do not need to see the vault he and his wife share. He likes dad paying for his membership, so he has no intention of leaving the family plan. lol

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy, I managed to get mine to spring for his own family account (you're welcome!). Now if only I can figure out how to bounce him and his sibs from my cellphone plan and off my Netflix account... :)

• Yup. Agreed 100% here too.

• acleveland
    acleveland
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your feedback and the tips! We have had some significant issues with password management for my MIL and, while allowing for her independence, I need to be able to monitor and assist. This will help a great deal.

And if anyone figures out how to spin off kids from Netflix, etc., they probably know the deeper mysteries of the universe as well.

• I am glad our banter could help out. Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.